Premed 101 Forums

How important are research publications for internal medicine?

Sorry if this is the wrong sub to ask this !! Wasn't sure where to ask this. 

I'm starting my second year in med school in September. I realize that it's still early to know exactly what I want, but I'm heavily leaning towards internal medicine for residency. I know that could change but, for now, I'm working with the mindset that that's what I will be aiming for. I've recently started a summer research job and, as of now, getting a publication out of it hasn't been brought up/discussed by my supervisor. It seems to me that my supervisor mainly wants me to enjoy the research experience, get some new skills out of it, and get a poster to present at some conference/research event. I realize I should've been more transparent with the supervisor about wanting a publication, but I just didn't want her thinking it's all I'm here for since she doesn't know me that well, because it's actually not - I'm genuinely interested in the research topic.

That being said, I saw that the number of applicants for IM this year increased a lot. I'm starting to worry about how much more competitive it will be by the time I'm applying. Most of my med friends who are working on research this summer, have discussed the potential of publishing and that they'd be getting something out of it. Now, I'm worried that I'm behind and not getting the most out of it :( 

I guess my main question is, how important are research publications for internal medicine? 

3 minutes ago, premed_67 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong sub to ask this !! Wasn't sure where to ask this. 

I'm starting my second year in med school in September. I realize that it's still early to know exactly what I want, but I'm heavily leaning towards internal medicine for residency. I know that could change but, for now, I'm working with the mindset that that's what I will be aiming for. I've recently started a summer research job and, as of now, getting a publication out of it hasn't been brought up/discussed by my supervisor. It seems to me that my supervisor mainly wants me to enjoy the research experience, get some new skills out of it, and get a poster to present at some conference/research event. I realize I should've been more transparent with the supervisor about wanting a publication, but I just didn't want her thinking it's all I'm here for since she doesn't know me that well, because it's actually not - I'm genuinely interested in the research topic.

That being said, I saw that the number of applicants for IM this year increased a lot. I'm starting to worry about how much more competitive it will be by the time I'm applying. Most of my med friends who are working on research this summer, have discussed the potential of publishing and that they'd be getting something out of it. Now, I'm worried that I'm behind and not getting the most out of it :( 

I guess my main question is, how important are research publications for internal medicine? 

I believe that most supervisors start a project with the intention to publish, so you will be fine to express your interest in doing so.

Research publications are always helpful, especially for the more popular schools like UofT or Mac.