Premed 101 Forums

Which premed programm to choose ? Software engineer or kinesiology ?

Hi, I've been accepted into kinesiology and software engineer program. My goal is to get into med school but i want to have a solid backup in case it doesn't work. I know software engineer gives a really good plan B, but I'm scared that i wont be able go get a good GPA for med school which is easy to get in kinesiology from what I've heard. Which of these 2 programme should i choose from ?

4 hours ago, Kira2020 said:

Hi, I've been accepted into kinesiology and software engineer program. My goal is to get into med school but i want to have a solid backup in case it doesn't work. I know software engineer gives a really good plan B, but I'm scared that i wont be able go get a good GPA for med school which is easy to get in kinesiology from what I've heard. Which of these 2 programme should i choose from ?

I think you've essentially answered your own question there. Those are the exact pros and cons of the 2 programs. Your choice now just has to depend on your confidence in your ability to do well, since either of these can lead you to med. Kinesiology might make it slightly easier for you satisfy all the prereqs for med, but you can manage that in the engineering program too. Lots of people on the forum have gotten in from engineering so it's not impossible, you just have to work hard to get a high GPA. 

Engineering is not a popular 'premed' program. I've only known 1 person go from eng---> med and this guy was a robot with the work ethic of a monk. That being said, a BEng is a solid degree with good job prospects after graduating. Downside is that you will to more courses  (5.0+) with Eng vs Kin (5.0), and those courses are often more difficult.. So weigh your options and how hard you can grind through eng because it wont be easy. 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, Kira2020 said:

-

I recommend Kin. The material is voluminous and do have top grades, you will be working all the time and exhausted at the end of each semester, at least that was my experience. I could have coasted and attained Bs,  it to be a straight A student, I worked hard always. It also was a good prep for medicine. I absolutely do not regret my choice, I got in to med school on my first attempt.

3 hours ago, Bambi said:

I recommend Kin. The material is voluminous and do have top grades, you will be working all the time and exhausted at the end of each semester, at least that was my experience. I could have coasted and attained Bs,  it to be a straight A student, I worked hard always. It also was a good prep for medicine. I absolutely do not regret my choice, I got in to med school on my first attempt.

What was your GPA and CRU in Kin.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:54 AM, Kira2020 said:

I would say you summed up the issues quite well too - any engineering program (and software engineering may even be at higher risk of it in general). Engineering can be rather tone deaf to using the degree for anything else. 

If you do pull it off having comp sci (or related disciplines) and medicine is a rather fun mix! although I am particularly biased of course. 

13 hours ago, Kira2020 said:

What year ? Cz I've heard that lately it doesnt give a high cru ?

I guess things change, I’m going back 10 years or so. Every student of whom I am aware who excelled in Exercise Science and applied to med, got in on their first attempt.