Premed 101 Forums

5 hours ago, MDinCanada said:

can family doctors moonlight in internal

You need to be certified in the specialty you moonlight in. PGY4-5-6 in Internal Medicine subspecialties hold a specialty certification in Internal Medicine. 

Just now, samy said:

You need to be certified in the specialty you moonlight in. PGY4-5-6 in Internal Medicine subspecialties hold a specialty certification in Internal Medicine. 

Don't think this is true in ON - lots of psych PGY4-5s moonlight in psych without any specialty certification.

All the info on moonlighting in ON is on this site:

https://restrictedregistrationontario.ca/

Varies depending on program/specialty - you'd have to see if your program is included at your university and what their specific requirements are.

That being said, the bare minimum requirement is 18 months of training, so an FM resident would be hardpressed to have time in their residency to moonlight since I'm guessing the last 6 months are exam prep heavy.

17 minutes ago, ellorie said:

Varies depending on program/specialty - you'd have to see if your program is included at your university and what their specific requirements are.

That being said, the bare minimum requirement is 18 months of training, so an FM resident would be hardpressed to have time in their residency to moonlight since I'm guessing the last 6 months are exam prep heavy.

are you under a week from being done :) what are your plans? this is terrific!!! 

3 hours ago, ellorie said:

Moonlighting means different things to to different people. Restricted registration is a form of moonlighting.

What some other people refer to as "moonlighting" within Internal medicine, is doing GIM locum (i.e. call shifts at community hospitals.). To do locum work at hospitals in Internal medicine, you have to have completed 4 year of internal medicine residency (i.e. be PGY5 or above) and completed the royal college exam in internal medicine (which anyone above PGY4 should have done). 

In Alberta, practising family physicians can act as physician extenders on psychiatry--thus, doing the call as if they are a resident, with a psychiatrist supervising. Sometimes neurology residents also extend on psychiatry (have never seen the reverse :lol:). The restriction for extender licensing aka residents doing extra shifts is that you have your LMCCs done...which leaves it typically to PGY3 or later.

Though I am qualified as a psychiatrist, as PGY6 in child psych I just did a few more extenders (we have no scheduled call that year) to keep myself "sharp" on what the local resources/procedures are on call...and keep my anxiety down for the transition to staffhood!

I guess I could have applied for my independent license and then offered to do regular psych on-call coverage for better money, or do my own "after hours" private practise clinics....but it wasn't worth it personally, plus I prefer to do child psych call over adult psych call (you get more sleep usually...hahahaha). In my mind, this would be "moonlighting" as the initial poster referred to.