Premed 101 Forums

where to live

darcy101

Hello everyone, 

I am in a bit of a dilemma, hoping you guys could provide some advice. I am an incoming UBC med student this coming fall. I found two different places to live but I am having a bit of trouble picking between the two. I am an out-of-province student from Quebec. I am making a pretty big move so the home I choose will be my only home. 

Both these potential homes are in the same location, same price and same room. I will have my own bathroom, the only thing shared is the kitchen and the common areas. They are 2 different units of the same building. The only thing that is different is the roommate situation. 

Option one: 

- living with an upper year med student(one year ahead of me) who will be sharing her room with her younger sister who is going into an accelerated nursing program

+: upper med student (some guidance with school and probably help with networking [networking may be beneficial during covid?] )  

+: lease starts aug 1st (I plan to fly in sometime aug) 

+: an acquaintance of mine is living with med person's friend (a possible community forming)

- : sharing with her younger sister (one extra person to share with) 

- :  need to buy a desk and chair 

+/- : if things go well i can stay with the same med person until they graduate so may have the same home for the next three years but will have the smaller room 

Option two: 

- living with an 3rd year dental student only 

+ : better furniture than option one /  fully furnished 

+ :one less person to share with

-: lease starts sept 1st 

-: not same professional school 

+/-: dent girl may be moving out for 4th year so I can take her bigger room but will need to find a roommate 

Both potentials are nice and i got on with both of them. Some insight and advice would be appreciated 

My initial impression is that the potential for support from an upper year med student can really help relieve some of the uncertainty surrounding med school, especially since she is a year ahead. The furniture situation is not a huge deal IMO, and any costs to get nice furniture are insignificant on the grand scheme of things.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, darcy101 said:

Hello everyone, 

I am in a bit of a dilemma, hoping you guys could provide some advice. I am an incoming UBC med student this coming fall. I found two different places to live but I am having a bit of trouble picking between the two. I am an out-of-province student from Quebec. I am making a pretty big move so the home I choose will be my only home. 

Both these potential homes are in the same location, same price and same room. I will have my own bathroom, the only thing shared is the kitchen and the common areas. They are 2 different units of the same building. The only thing that is different is the roommate situation. 

Option one: 

- living with an upper year med student(one year ahead of me) who will be sharing her room with her younger sister who is going into an accelerated nursing program

+: upper med student (some guidance with school and probably help with networking [networking may be beneficial during covid?] )  

+: lease starts aug 1st (I plan to fly in sometime aug) 

+: an acquaintance of mine is living with med person's friend (a possible community forming)

- : sharing with her younger sister (one extra person to share with) 

- :  need to buy a desk and chair 

+/- : if things go well i can stay with the same med person until they graduate so may have the same home for the next three years but will have the smaller room 

Option two: 

- living with an 3rd year dental student only 

+ : better furniture than option one /  fully furnished 

+ :one less person to share with

-: lease starts sept 1st 

-: not same professional school 

+/-: dent girl may be moving out for 4th year so I can take her bigger room but will need to find a roommate 

Both potentials are nice and i got on with both of them. Some insight and advice would be appreciated 

I would go based on who you feel like will make a better roommate for your first year. I wouldn’t worry so much about what program they are in. Who will you get along with? Is there a difference in how clean the place is, or their feelings about use of common space, etc? You don’t necessary need to have a lot in common with a roommate, although that can be nice; for some people the best option is having a lot of space to yourself; for some it’s having a roommate they spend a lot of time with - if you guys aren’t on the same page about that sort of stuff it will be a tougher situation. 

If you really think you’ll get on with the people in option 1, that’s great. But but if don’t actually like living with the person staying in option 1, then you might be the one who has to move after one year. Whereas, there’s always people looking to move between frost and second year, I don’t think you’ll have trouble finding a new roommate if you decide to go with option 2.