Premed 101 Forums

Advice: Should I even bother?

Hey guys,

After so much creeping and never posting I thought I might as well ask for some of your guys's advice. I've been wanting to be a doctor since I was a kid but I never tried because I didnt think I was smart enough lol so anyways here are the numbers: UGPA is whack, this is the trend 1.9 (had a rough year), 2.7, 3.2, 3.6. Finished a MA with a 3.8-3.9 and havent written the MCAT yet. Should I even try? idk what do you guys think? You can be critical, I'm not soft.

You will be automatically excluded from consideration by most schools because of your GPA. But there are ways to fix it. Your best bet would be to continue graduate work (i.e. PhD), maybe that was on your radar already. Also look into ucalgary's 10 year exclusion rule.

GPA is only part of the equation though, so you will definitely need a high MCAT score and strong extracurriculars to become a competitive applicant. It may take a few years and potentially several application cycles to get in somewhere in Canada. Ask yourself whether it's worth it. And yes definitely bother if it's a genuine lifelong dream of yours.

Never say that you're not smart enough for something, confidence is a big part of this process and I personally think that it is far more important than any singular academic factor.

I'd say with your GPA, you would need to do a bit more course work, (possibly continue with work, as suggested above). Have a strong MCAT with strong ECs. Don't expect anything, but budget anywhere from 3-5 years to get into medicine depending where you are currently. If you meet the minimums to apply, do it!