Premed 101 Forums

Immunization requirements

Has anyone in the Montreal area or Ottawa/Gatineau area been able to get their vaccinations checked by a nurse and do the tests needed?

I don’t have a family doctor and all the places (CLSC in Qc for example) I called are telling me that they won’t be able to see me until August because of Covid. 

I'm not from those areas but here's what my experience was like: I tried contacting my family doc several times to book an appointment but they did not get back to me at all. They were busy and under a strict protocol cuz of covid. So I decided to go to a super basic walk in clinic that didnt require a called appointment and I did everything with them. It was very simple. But I'm from the GTA area so things might be different on your end. So maybe try a walk-in clinic if possible? 

11 hours ago, premed72 said:

I'm not from those areas but here's what my experience was like: I tried contacting my family doc several times to book an appointment but they did not get back to me at all. They were busy and under a strict protocol cuz of covid. So I decided to go to a super basic walk in clinic that didnt require a called appointment and I did everything with them. It was very simple. But I'm from the GTA area so things might be different on your end. So maybe try a walk-in clinic if possible? 

I will try a walk-in clinic - thank you!

19 hours ago, premed72 said:

Were you able to get it covered via ohip ?

1 hour ago, dooogs said:

Can't speak to this person specifically but the TB tests and certain vaccines should be covered by OHIP. Personally I had to get ADACEL (Tdap) and hep B- ADACEL is covered by OHIP but hep B wasn't. My family doc also charged me $25 to fill out the forms but some might not- my doc runs her own practice and charges for every tiny thing but I've been to other docs that don't charge for that kind of thing. 

14 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

I went to a walk-in clinic and my MMR booster, Tdap-polio and TB test were all covered. The doc I went to didn't charge for filling out the forms either, which was great.

This happened to me too. They kept asking if the TB skin test was for school reasons so just keep that in mind. If it wasnt for school I think they would have charged me. In total I paid 0$  

2 hours ago, dooogs said:

21 minutes ago, medhopeful1 said:

Are you guys getting the influenza shot? It’s not the season for it so there isn’t rlly a shot atm but it’s still on the form so not sure what to do

I got the one that expired June 30th because I thought it would be fun LOL but yeah we would need to get another in the fall