Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on med admissions companies?

I didn't know about these when I was applying, but these exist and are EXTRAORDINARILY expensive it's insane. At first I wanted to join them now that I am going to be an incoming med student because money, but after reading through these forums I can definitely see the problematic ethics behind doing so. What are your thoughts on this? Do you guys think it's acceptable to charge help for a cheaper price (eg. $20/hour) or do you think it's absolutely unacceptable at all? I'm not asking because I'm interested in doing this (and honestly, I think I got in mainly based off luck) but I am curious to know people's thoughts!

$20/hr does not sound unreasonable, however, for more than a decade I have been helping applicants on this Forum, as have others, pro bono - and I would not think of charging. I have chased those who have sought to charge our members away to the maximum of my ability as they were taking advantage of the vulnerable. It is unnecessary to pay for good advice.  

I also only offer help for free through these forums and think that that's a nice way to give back especially to people from lower SES background, but I also just caution you to double check with your school and read through their policies on charging for these types of activities. My school recently sent an email to the medical students and graduates to say that they consider joining medical school admission consulting firms a breach of professionalism that would come with serious consequences including litigation. 

With how much free help I received on here and several other forums when I was applying, I think it would be deeply unethical for me to profit off of pre-meds now that I'm in medical school. I've been contacted a few times to join on with those companies (which is a sign I'm probably too active on these forums) and it gets my back up every time. It makes me happy to see that pretty much everyone here agrees with that POV, and I'm continually impressed with how supportive this community is as a whole!

trying to make sure all the possible information is here on the forum has always been my goal. Mapping out strategy and knowing the admission rules I like to think you can learn here for free. Some people do like the reassurance of having a person to walk them through things but the point is that shouldn't strictly necessary. Equalization of information is the goal.  

Unethical & unnecessary. I hate their philosophy, I don't like to think that there is a right or wrong way to apply because each individual is different. It should be up to you to figure out what is the best way to show the committee that you are an incredible person and that you will be an amazing doctor. You are the one that knows you better. You can do it. You can get in without their help. You even have plenty of nice people here willing to help you for free, use us instead! :)