Premed 101 Forums

AFMC: What happens if I don't hand in the immunization by July 17th.

My doctor messed up and we are missing a serology test.  I am trying to find an appointment and even then if I do I don't know if the turn around time will be longer. It is typcially a week.  If I can't complete this do I lose my offer? 

Panicing 

3 minutes ago, MDLD said:

My doctor messed up and we are missing a serology test.  I am trying to find an appointment and even then if I do I don't know if the turn around time will be longer. It is typcially a week.  If I can't complete this do I lose my offer? 

Panicing 

lol no don't worry! They're doing this for clinical placement purposes so they might just limit you from that (but these activities probs won't be happening anyway due to COVID). Just let them know if you think you'll be late. But don't panick. It's OK!

6 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

lol no don't worry! They're doing this for clinical placement purposes so they might just limit you from that (but these activities probs won't be happening anyway due to COVID). Just let them know if you think you'll be late. But don't panick. It's OK!

When I told my school that my doctor said things might be slow due to covid they just sent this back... 

"Yes it is the serology requirements that you are missing. Unfortunately the deadline is July 17th, 2020 as this is set out by the AFMC and cannot be changed. It is a condition of your offer to complete all requirements on the admissions checklist by the respective deadlines."

So if I miss the deadline what happens?

33 minutes ago, MDLD said:

When I told my school that my doctor said things might be slow due to covid they just sent this back... 

"Yes it is the serology requirements that you are missing. Unfortunately the deadline is July 17th, 2020 as this is set out by the AFMC and cannot be changed. It is a condition of your offer to complete all requirements on the admissions checklist by the respective deadlines."

So if I miss the deadline what happens?

yikes Queen's sounds so much tougher than Ottawa :/ Ottawa allows for flexibility due to COVID. May be best to post on your class's Facebook group :d

Just now, petitmonstre111 said:

I’m not sure it is posted anywhere unfortunately.. maybe @DrOtter can speak more to that? But the emails we got from them clearly stated August 3rd as the deadline for all immunization requirements.

446A0B63-8BA9-4E20-B4C0-969B48D4BCCA.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, perhaps I'll try to reach out to AFMC... wish queens would be more understanding... 

7 minutes ago, petitmonstre111 said:

I’m not sure it is posted anywhere unfortunately.. maybe @DrOtter can speak more to that? But the emails we got from them clearly stated August 3rd as the deadline for all immunization requirements.

It's officially posted here I think https://orm.uottawa.ca/clinical-placement/deadlines#medecine (it says August 2nd here tho). But the AFMC is never mentioned.

7 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

I really don't understand how schools can have different deadlines if they're set by the AFMC. If, for some reason, Queens doesn't want to budge I'd ask your student association reps if they can take up the issue for you (even if you're not technically a student yet). They may have some more pull. 

Thank you for the suggestion! 

That's actually crazy that Queen's would take such a tough stance on this with COVID happening- Ottawa has been great with telling us (and me personally) just to get everything you can in by the deadline (which is August 3rd, as mentioned) and not to worry about things you can't. They also told me specifically that things just need to be done before clinical placements

5 minutes ago, Psych said:

That's actually crazy that Queen's would take such a tough stance on this with COVID happening- Ottawa has been great with telling us (and me personally) just to get everything you can in by the deadline (which is August 3rd, as mentioned) and not to worry about things you can't. They also told me specifically that things just need to be done before clinical placements

not pleased with their response.  If its a hard deadline then explain it more and help me find solutions. If its not a hard deadline and exceptions can be made tell me to try my best but if things don't work out don't sweet it... so i don't feel panicked for the next week worried im not headed to med school becuase of one form. 

13 minutes ago, Psych said:

They also told me specifically that things just need to be done before clinical placements

It's because Queen's traditionally has clinical skills sessions with SPs and volunteer patients during the very very first week of first year, so the forms must be complete before classes start at the end of August. (The learner wellness team also needs time to go through everyone's paperwork to make sure nothing was missed)

38 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

It's because Queen's traditionally has clinical skills sessions with SPs and volunteer patients during the very very first week of first year, so the forms must be complete before classes start at the end of August. (The learner wellness team also needs time to go through everyone's paperwork to make sure nothing was missed)

For sure it makes sense why they'd want to get that stuff in early, I just think it's a bit inflexible/non-understanding to threaten to rescind someone's offer for handing things in a few days late, especially for circumstances like COVID which are totally out of everyone's control

For argument sake: let's say they revoke your offer (which I'm 100% sure they wont), the next person on the waitlist to receive admission will need to rush and get this report done well after their proposed deadline. So logistically it doesn't make sense if they revoke you. They're probably just putting some pressure to get it done asap. I wouldnt worry 

Thank you that is very good logic. Another thought I had is I know one person just got in recently so they likely might be in the same situation. I have reached out to uppper year students and they are also saying not to worry.  

I will send a email tomororw to them letting them know I rushed to get the test done as soon as I got their email.  And now it’s out of my hands. 

6 hours ago, Psych said:

For sure it makes sense why they'd want to get that stuff in early, I just think it's a bit inflexible/non-understanding to threaten to rescind someone's offer for handing things in a few days late, especially for circumstances like COVID which are totally out of everyone's control

I totally understand why they need the info but  some things like the pandemic is out of my control. I don’t think spreading unessassry panic is the way to deal with things.