Premed 101 Forums

Should I still pursue dentistry in the post COVID world

This pandemic has significantly impacted the economy in numerous ways, and in particular took a huge blow to the dental field. I'm going to begin my first year of dental school in the fall and have been thinking about the future of dentistry and how to pay off my future debt. Will there still be viable jobs for dentists, how will the practice change, is it still worth it to go into dentistry? 

Health-care will always have a need. It just depends on what your reasons are for pursuing dentistry. If it is for financial reasons then perhaps there are better careers out there with less of a financial investment for your education. ie. nursing, PT, OT. Covid and corporate dentistry are already making their mark and the financial cost may not be as justified as it used to be. If you are certain you want dentistry as a future career then it still will make sense. By the time you exit school the virus will have passed, and it will be a different landscape than it is now.

1 hour ago, HouseBunny said:

This pandemic has significantly impacted the economy in numerous ways, and in particular took a huge blow to the dental field. I'm going to begin my first year of dental school in the fall and have been thinking about the future of dentistry and how to pay off my future debt. Will there still be viable jobs for dentists, how will the practice change, is it still worth it to go into dentistry? 

covid is temporary...it will pass within 2 years and things will stabilize. Will dentistry be the same? Prob but you'll see way more corporate dentistry clinics than now. Covid has only helped corporate offices expand since they have the capital to benefit from a pandemic. If you think you'll be making "bank", good luck competing with the corporate field and established dentists, especially in urban areas. There will always be a need for dentists but with continued equivalency exams, foreign trained dentists will continue saturating the market and be the biggest threat to the profession. Covid has stopped the immigration of dentists temporarily but as soon as travel and normalcy returns, you'll see a massive wave of dentists entering the Canadian market due to the backlog.

14 hours ago, dentistrydmd said:

Health-care will always have a need. It just depends on what your reasons are for pursuing dentistry. If it is for financial reasons then perhaps there are better careers out there with less of a financial investment for your education. ie. nursing, PT, OT. Covid and corporate dentistry are already making their mark and the financial cost may not be as justified as it used to be. If you are certain you want dentistry as a future career then it still will make sense. By the time you exit school the virus will have passed, and it will be a different landscape than it is now.

Dentistry is my passion so its not financial, but I can't say that I don't worry about the finances. After dental school Im going to have massive debt, so I want to make sure that once i graduate i will be able to have an adequate salary to be able to pay off this debt. Otherwise what is the point of paying all this money to go to dental school and not even being able to pay it off? I mean it's for sure a passion of mine, but I also do not want to be living with crippling debt for the rest of my life lol

Id likely wager a bet saying there's no dentists making less than 100k a year unless it was their choice.

Id also wager that there is great potential for a dentist/business minded person to earn 300+ a year. 

Just do the math. On the worst day with minimal effort, you'll pay your debt off and live comfortably. The rest is up to you. 

On 7/13/2020 at 2:15 PM, HouseBunny said:

Dentistry is my passion so its not financial, but I can't say that I don't worry about the finances. After dental school Im going to have massive debt, so I want to make sure that once i graduate i will be able to have an adequate salary to be able to pay off this debt. Otherwise what is the point of paying all this money to go to dental school and not even being able to pay it off? I mean it's for sure a passion of mine, but I also do not want to be living with crippling debt for the rest of my life lol

Go to the cheapest school you can get into. This is the best word of advice I can give you. The finances are definitely a challenge when you have issues that we have today. Don't go to the US of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 11:57 PM, dentistrydmd said:

Them pushing you for production and getting involved in your treatment planning. They run it as a business, and it is very metric-driven.

100% agree, as well they will push you to do things that you might not agree nor comfortable performing.  At the end of the day, it is all about production for them.