Premed 101 Forums

MCAT question

Which was your most recent score?

I would check with Dal to see if they require your most recent MCAT, or if you can choose a prior score. I believe the AAMC gives them all of your exam scores and dates, but different schools assess multiple scores differently.

If given the choice, I would personally elect to share a more well-rounded score with higher CARS, but this is purely my subjective opinion since we have no idea how Dal actually assesses the MCAT. Do keep in mind that it is worth very little of your overall application score (10%, per the website), and either way your scores are decent.

7 hours ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Hey everyone, it's my first time applying to Dalhousie med and I'm not sure which of my 2 recent MCAT scores I should use:

512 total (128 CP / 129 CARS / 127 BB / 128 PS) <-- more balanced, higher CARS

or

513 total (129 CP / 125 CARS / 129 BB / 130 PS) <-- higher overall score, but lower CARS

Which score would make me more competitive?
Does Dal med only care about the overall score once you pass the cut off?

Thank you in advance :) 

1 hour ago, dh. said:

Which was your most recent score?

I would check with Dal to see if they require your most recent MCAT, or if you can choose a prior score. I believe the AAMC gives them all of your exam scores and dates, but different schools assess multiple scores differently.

If given the choice, I would personally elect to share a more well-rounded score with higher CARS, but this is purely my subjective opinion since we have no idea how Dal actually assesses the MCAT. Do keep in mind that it is worth very little of your overall application score (10%, per the website), and either way your scores are decent.

I believe Dal actually looks at overall scores so long as they meet cutoffs. Either one will likely translate into a 8/10 on the MCAT section, but just incase I think the higher score is better (so long as you can choose, check on this!).

Now, for other schools that's a different story haha! Congrats on the great cars score, I could never score that :P

2 hours ago, 88risingsun said:

There's a range, i.e. 505-509 = 6/10 (I forget the specific ranges). I would go with the 512 because it is more balanced... I don't think 512 or 513 sits at the ends of different score brackets anyways, so it shouldn't make a huge difference. Good luck!

Would you mind directing me to this range? I didn't see anything related to the MCAT score conversion on the Dal website. 

34 minutes ago, garceyues said:

Would you mind directing me to this range? I didn't see anything related to the MCAT score conversion on the Dal website. 

A few years ago a thread was made about it. It is anecdotal but there could be some truth to it this upcoming cycle (not sure how <500 scores will do, prob 4 or 5/10?).

503-504 = 6/10

505-510=7/10

511-516=8/10

517-522=9/10

523+=10/10

4 hours ago, 88risingsun said:

A few years ago a thread was made about it. It is anecdotal but there could be some truth to it this upcoming cycle (not sure how <500 scores will do, prob 4 or 5/10?).

503-504 = 6/10

505-510=7/10

511-516=8/10

517-522=9/10

523+=10/10

This is pretty accurate! But I’ll say that this does vary every year I believe, a friend of mine that made the WL this year had a 4.0 and a 516 and got a 24/25 on the academic section.. it varies, but clearly not much :)