Premed 101 Forums

Will graveyard shifts look bad on my application?

Olle

Hey, 

I've been working graveyard shifts for a little more than a year in a lab position at a medical biotech company.

Obviously graveyard shifts aren't the most desired position, so I am worried that mentioning the job on my application would raise a red flag when assessing my relative competence.

Also, it requires a lot of sacrifice of routines you have during the regular day, and I don't want to be seen as that person who would sacrifice all of that for a job, if you get what I mean.

Should I keep it out? I would appreciate your thoughts!

I can't really comment on whether graveyard shifts are regarded less favorably, but even if that were the case, can't you just not mention it? I'm just comparing this to other work experiences that would be included in a resume/CV/ABS. The focus should always be what your involvement entailed, your responsibilities/roles, your accomplishments, and your takeaways from the experience. It seems kinda weird to need to mention that it's a graveyard shift... that's like saying you worked at X company on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, but taking Wednesdays and Fridays off (i.e. irrelevant information). 

I think a lab work position at a medical biotech company would be a very coveted position. Don't worry about people judging you for taking the graveyard shift because they most likely won't even know :lol:

4 hours ago, Olle said:

Hey, 

I've been working graveyard shifts for a little more than a year in a lab position at a medical biotech company.

Obviously graveyard shifts aren't the most desired position, so I am worried that mentioning the job on my application would raise a red flag when assessing my relative competence.

Also, it requires a lot of sacrifice of routines you have during the regular day, and I don't want to be seen as that person who would sacrifice all of that for a job, if you get what I mean.

Should I keep it out? I would appreciate your thoughts!

Do you actually have to specify the shifts? Just say it was part-time. Although I really don’t think it matters, you’re probably over thinking it...

4 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Do you actually have to specify the shifts? Just say it was part-time. Although I really don’t think it matters, you’re probably over thinking it...

I agree I don't think it matters at all  - I wouldn't mention the time timing not because it is in anyway inferior (which sounds just strange to me anyway) but just because it is completely irrelevant. 

My opinion might not mean much because I have yet to even apply to med school but I’ve worked night shift as a nurse and honestly I can’t see how working a night shift would look bad. If anything, it would show that you’re willing and able to work different shifts, as we will have to do as residents and stuff, so I can’t see that as a bad thing lol. But I also don’t see why it would be brought up. So I’d say you’re fine no stress