Premed 101 Forums

Entering class of 2020 stats released!

5 hours ago, Redroses said:

Yikes! that is almost 44% acceptance rate post-interview for Quebec University cohort!

I don't want to engage in virtue signaling here, I swear. I'm curious to know why you say "Yikes"? More people getting in would be a good thing, not a bad thing IMHO. At the end of the day only 11% of applicants were admitted and I don't think there's an enormous difference among applicants at the later stages of the selection process.

Anyone have any idea about why there were ~200 more QC University applicants this year than last? Seems like a big jump. Also does "admitted" include everyone who was admitted, even if they end up rejecting the offer? or does it only include the people who are admitted/registered in the class as of when the stats are published?

8 hours ago, Dodo said:

I don't want to engage in virtue signaling here, I swear. I'm curious to know why you say "Yikes"? More people getting in would be a good thing, not a bad thing IMHO. At the end of the day only 11% of applicants were admitted and I don't think there's an enormous difference among applicants at the later stages of the selection process.

CARMS worries down the line maybe? No other reason to yikes at it from my perspective

9 hours ago, Dodo said:

Perhaps it was use of poor wording from me... it mostly came from a place of excitement and wonder as I was wondering whether Covid-19 had anything to do with this increase... I know in the past the number were around 80-somethings. Of course it is a good thing!

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 9:01 AM, Vons said:

Anyone have any idea about why there were ~200 more QC University applicants this year than last? Seems like a big jump. Also does "admitted" include everyone who was admitted, even if they end up rejecting the offer? or does it only include the people who are admitted/registered in the class as of when the stats are published?

Could be that those who would've applied through NTP before are now part of QC cohort? I assumed it included everyone given an admission offer, regardless of whether the applicant  accepted/declined the offer, though correct me if I'm wrong. 

As for higher acceptance rate post-interview, I guess the lower chances of being invited to an interview levels things out. The year before, the top 31% of those who applied got invites vs. this cycle, it was top 25%.