Premed 101 Forums

I posted this on the r.e.d.d.i.t medschool page and didn't even know this forum existed! A comment suggested I post here as there are many more Canadians!

I'm a Canadian med student going into my final year. As my fellow Canadians may know, all our out-of-province electives have been cancelled for those of us doing 4th year in 2020/21.

I'm interested in matching to General Surgery next CaRMS season but due to the lack of ability to head out of province for electives I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get a good feel for what each province's program is like aside from descriptions we can read on the CaRMS website (which I'm sure reflect on the program with 100% accuracy and no bias..). I plan on doing what I can with the online meet & greets etc. and contacting programs through the usual avenues but figured if anywhere was to give me an accurate feel from a student or resident perspective (outside meeting y'all in person) it would be where seemingly all of us come to smack talk our lovely med schools, r.e.d.d.i.t. baby.

If you are a resident OR med student in Canada and have a decent idea what your school/province's gen surg program is like I would love to know anything and everything! What do you hate, what do you love? How much hands-on time do you guys get? How big of assholes are your attendings? What's the program culture like? Do any of you sleep?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edit: apparently this forum doesn't like the word r.e.d.d.i.t.