Premed 101 Forums

Ran out of CARS practice

yav

So this is my fourth time writing my MCAT...yes....fourth........ and it's all because of CARS

I've gotten 129-131 in every other section every single time but I consistently get 125 in CARS. (which is annoying because I get 128 in practice and then 125 on the exam - I'm pretty sure it has to do with my exam stress). I'm testing Aug 7th but because I've written it so many times, I've run out of CARS practice to do. Here is a list of practice I have already done:

- AAMC (I've done these a million times)

- TPR workbook

- EK 101 verbal reasoning

- JW (I still continue to do 3-4 passages a day)

- KA

- Old AAMC Tests (3-11)

- NS FLs

- UWORLD

Does anyone have any other suggestions for more CARS practice?? or some TIPS to make this the final time I write this stupid exam?

I was thinking of doing the Berkeley review CARS section of the FLs or the NS 108 but I don't want to waste my time with passages that are not representative of the real MCAT b/c at this point, endurance and timing are not my problem.

any suggestions would be highly appreciated!! pls lol SOS

5 minutes ago, yav said:

I've gotten 129-131 in every other section every single time but I consistently get 125 in CARS. (which is annoying because I get 128 in practice and then 125 on the exam - I'm pretty sure it has to do with my exam stress). I'm testing Aug 7th but because I've written it so many times, I've run out of CARS practice to do. Here is a list of practice I have already done:

WOW we must be twins B) i consistently got 128 in practice but it was like my brain deleted the english language on the day of the exam..

I did all the practice passages in the Berkeley review book, but not their full lengths. Those passages were honestly so hard for no reason (nothing like the AAMC resources). Once i went from berkeley review -> aamc passages it was like I was doing a whole different exam (different thinking process). Don't waste your time with TBR, it's a waste of money and might even confuse you. 

5 minutes ago, yav said:

WOW we must be twins B) i consistently got 128 in practice but it was like my brain deleted the english language on the day of the exam..

I did all the practice passages in the Berkeley review book, but not their full lengths. Those passages were honestly so hard for no reason (nothing like the AAMC resources). Once i went from berkeley review -> aamc passages it was like I was doing a whole different exam (different thinking process). Don't waste your time with TBR, it's a waste of money and might even confuse you. 

I'm not sure if you've done Kaplan yet, but if you've tried everything else it wouldn't hurt to try their CARS book- it has their CARS strategy (which may or may not work for you) but it also has lots of practice questions and passages that I found helpful. This was the only CARS practice I did (plus 3 AAMC full-lengths) and I scored a 129, although I honestly can't say if that was due to Kaplan or my prior English background (I took AP English which is very similar to CARS). But it certainly didn't hurt, and I would recommend it if you've tried everything else!

Im also retaking for the third time due to CARS but feel good about it this time as my CARS practice has been going noticeably well compared to previous years. The only thing I can say I added in regards to CARS practice was simply reading more dense, non-fiction books throughout my gap year as much as possible. So id try out just reading more books and thinking a little extra about what youre reading to make reading feel more natural as well as enhance reading speed and comprehension skills. I dont have the CARS score to back it up but im thinking it'll help so you can try that if you want.

• 9 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 8:23 PM, yav said:

So this is my fourth time writing my MCAT...yes....fourth........ and it's all because of CARS

- AAMC (I've done these a million times)

- TPR workbook

- EK 101 verbal reasoning

- JW (I still continue to do 3-4 passages a day)

- KA

- Old AAMC Tests (3-11)

- NS FLs

- UWORLD

Does anyone have any other suggestions for more CARS practice?? or some TIPS to make this the final time I write this stupid exam?

I was thinking of doing the Berkeley review CARS section of the FLs or the NS 108 but I don't want to waste my time with passages that are not representative of the real MCAT b/c at this point, endurance and timing are not my problem.

any suggestions would be highly appreciated!! pls lol SOS

so how did things turn out for you with MCAT? What materials did u use?