Premed 101 Forums

Can anyone confirm if im interpreting the new AGPA policy correctly? Last year, they removed an entire year if you qualified, including any courses that helped your GPA. With the new modification, it says up to 30 credits removed in your worst year given you have at least 120 credits. Does this mean that they will only remove the grades (up to 30 credits) that are dragging down your GPA in your worst year, while keeping the ones that are helping your GPA?

1 hour ago, coaster_boaster said:

Can anyone confirm if im interpreting the new AGPA policy correctly? Last year, they removed an entire year if you qualified, including any courses that helped your GPA. With the new modification, it says up to 30 credits removed in your worst year given you have at least 120 credits. Does this mean that they will only remove the grades (up to 30 credits) that are dragging down your GPA in your worst year, while keeping the ones that are helping your GPA?

No, pretty sure they are still removing the whole year - the ‘up to’ refers to the situation where someone has more than 30 credits in their worst year.

From the blog explaining the adjustments: “in the adjusted academic average, the academic year up to 30 credits with the lowest academic average will be dropped. If more than 30 credits are presented in the worst academic year, the 30 credits with the lowest grades will be removed, provided 90 graded credits remain.”

Edited by frenchpress
1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

No, pretty sure they are still removing the whole year - the ‘up to’ refers to the situation where someone has more than 30 credits in their worst year.

From the blog explaining the adjustments: “in the adjusted academic average, the academic year up to 30 credits with the lowest academic average will be dropped. If more than 30 credits are presented in the worst academic year, the 30 credits with the lowest grades will be removed, provided 90 graded credits remain.”

Actually, I think the policy has changed this year so that they won't drop your ENTIRE lowest year, they'll just drop as many credits as is allowed to get to 90 graded credits (but they won't drop more than 30 credits). This is clear from Example 2 under Academic Criteria at this link: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/#:~:text=MCAT Scores%3A The minimum MCAT,an indication of competitive scores.

So basically, if you have 110 graded credits, your aGPA will consist of 110 graded credits total - 20 worst credits from lowest year = 90 graded credits! Or let's say if you have 91 graded credits, your aGPA will just drop your lowest 1 credit from your lowest year, to get to 90 credits.

7 hours ago, Fast_Layne said:

Actually, I think the policy has changed this year so that they won't drop your ENTIRE lowest year, they'll just drop as many credits as is allowed to get to 90 graded credits (but they won't drop more than 30 credits). This is clear from Example 2 under Academic Criteria at this link: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/#:~:text=MCAT Scores%3A The minimum MCAT,an indication of competitive scores.

So basically, if you have 110 graded credits, your aGPA will consist of 110 graded credits total - 20 worst credits from lowest year = 90 graded credits! Or let's say if you have 91 graded credits, your aGPA will just drop your lowest 1 credit from your lowest year, to get to 90 credits.

Ah, yes, the partial year situation is important to clarify.

But I thought what OP was asking about was the 120+ situation, and whether they would always remove 30 credits or if they would only remove as many credits as ‘helps you’. For example, if you have an average of 80%, when they remove your ‘worst year’ do they only drop grades below that, but not drop the grades above that. 

32 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Ah, yes, the partial year situation is important to clarify.

But I thought what OP was asking about was the 120+ situation, and whether they would always remove 30 credits or if they would only remove as many credits as ‘helps you’. For example, if you have an average of 80%, when they remove your ‘worst year’ do they only drop grades below that, but not drop the grades above that. 

I think the way the math works is that removing 30 credits in the year with your lowest average will always help you.

11 minutes ago, theevilsloth said:

I think the way the math works is that removing 30 credits in the year with your lowest average will always help you.

Yeah, I think that’s right. I understand why OP was asking though - dropping your worst year will benefit your AGPA, but if you could drop just the portion of the year that was bringing down your score, then the AGPA would be even higher.

36 minutes ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:

Can someone give me a quick explanation on what changed? I'm so confused - I don't even remember what the policy was last year. 

No worries so yeah basically...

Previously: if you had 120 credits or more at the time of applying, you can get your worst 30 credits removed from your worst academic year (i.e. they will just pretend like those classes never happened). You could only get AGPA if you actually had 120 credits already sealed up and finished

Now: if you have 91 credits or more at the time of applying (not counting any credits taken during the January 2020 semester), you will get x credits removed from your worst academic year, provided that your number of credits at the time of applying minus x is still > 90. In other words, if you have 91 credits you'll get one credit from your worst year removed, whereas if you have 103 credits you'll get your 13 worst year credits removed, 109 you'll get 19 removed, and so forth