Premed 101 Forums

Does research on the CV give me a better chance of getting into Med-P?

folklore

Getting research experience and your name on a published paper will help you definitively whether you would be applying at McGill ( for the CV & MMI) or other French schools (MMIs mainly); however, you also have to keep in mind that you would have to allocate some of your time for this project, time that could be spent on studying and improving your R-Score. It simply comes up to can I improve my R-Score/Maintain it or will this project be too much of a burden. French Unis tend to consider more the R-SCORE pre-interview as well as post-interview whereas McGill has a different approach. From my experience, people will lower R-Score tend not to get invited at French Unis which basically reduces your chances of getting into Med in the first place; on the other hand, I've seen at McGill during the interview plenty of ppl with low R-Scores and few have been accepted but they really are a small minority (max 3-6 ppl in a cohort of 71). Is it a risk your willing to take? Personally I'd say improving your academics should be prioritized as I'm certain you have plenty of other experience demonstration your leadership, communication, colaboration, etc... skills. 

On 7/25/2020 at 1:05 AM, Dr.House said:

Getting research experience and your name on a published paper will help you definitively whether you would be applying at McGill ( for the CV & MMI) or other French schools (MMIs mainly); however, you also have to keep in mind that you would have to allocate some of your time for this project, time that could be spent on studying and improving your R-Score. It simply comes up to can I improve my R-Score/Maintain it or will this project be too much of a burden. French Unis tend to consider more the R-SCORE pre-interview as well as post-interview whereas McGill has a different approach. From my experience, people will lower R-Score tend not to get invited at French Unis which basically reduces your chances of getting into Med in the first place; on the other hand, I've seen at McGill during the interview plenty of ppl with low R-Scores and few have been accepted but they really are a small minority (max 3-6 ppl in a cohort of 71). Is it a risk your willing to take? Personally I'd say improving your academics should be prioritized as I'm certain you have plenty of other experience demonstration your leadership, communication, colaboration, etc... skills. 

On 7/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, folklore said:

I have an opportunity to participate in research this fall, and possibly have my name on a published paper. However, I want to focus on getting my R score up this fall semester, as I’m on the low side (34.7). Will I be able to do the research all while raising my R score? Is it worth the time and effort? Would research on my CV actually help me get into med-p at mcgill? 

Thank you!!

Hi, random question. I thought McGill took GPA and now cote R? I calculated my GPA on the 4.0 scale....do they use cote R for out of Quebec students (I'm from Ontario)? On the website stats it's on the on the 4.0 scale. Just want to confirm.

1 minute ago, zackattack881 said:

Hi, random question. I thought McGill took GPA and now cote R? I calculated my GPA on the 4.0 scale....do they use cote R for out of Quebec students (I'm from Ontario)? On the website stats it's on the on the 4.0 scale. Just want to confirm.

AFAIK you're evaluated based on your R-Score if you're applying to the Med-P program right out of a Quebec CEGEP. If you're applying as a University applicant you're evaluated based on GPA. They're two entirely distinct entry streams.