Premed 101 Forums

Why is the McMaster Global Health Msc program so popular?

This program seems to be fairly sought after by people on this forum and those who are generally interested in medicine/healthcare. Does anyone know what the appeal of this degree is and why it seems to be so popular? I understand the attractiveness of a 1-year program with some experiential learning opportunities, but I am not sure what this program looks like in terms of independent career prospects or improving an applicant's chances for getting into medical school. I am just looking to hear people’s thoughts/experiences and gain some insight into this program in case its something I decide to pursue in the future.

This is a popular question: 

I think gh0st can answer questions very well about it in general, but it seems the 1 year option at mac is not necessarily the best, check globetrotters response:

I've seen people say good things about UofA, UofT, UBC, not sure about mac tho. 1 year vs 2 years is not huge in opportunity cost, but having a better program with more support for your practicum (work placement) is very important. 2 years also gives you more chances to network and find a better job if you don't get into med the year you graduate as well as doing more ECs through your school to improve your app if that's lacking. I would keep searching the fora, there's a lot of info on the subject, e.g.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 3:11 PM, UwoToUo said:

This is a popular question: 

I think gh0st can answer questions very well about it in general, but it seems the 1 year option at mac is not necessarily the best, check globetrotters response:

I've seen people say good things about UofA, UofT, UBC, not sure about mac tho. 1 year vs 2 years is not huge in opportunity cost, but having a better program with more support for your practicum (work placement) is very important. 2 years also gives you more chances to network and find a better job if you don't get into med the year you graduate as well as doing more ECs through your school to improve your app if that's lacking. I would keep searching the fora, there's a lot of info on the subject, e.g.

Thanks for all of the extensive information. It seems as though the mac route is just an accelerated MPH, which may be better for finishing earlier but may leave you with fewer career prospects and connections. I will continue to research things, but this is definitely some good food for thought