Premed 101 Forums

Disciplinary Action 10yrs Ago...

So 10 years ago when I was a senior in my undergrad (Canadian University) I was involved with an academic misconduct - basically I wasn't prepared for a test as much as I would have liked in a course that I had failed previously. Because of that fear I didn't wanna fail it again and in the moment I had a major lapse in judgement and I changed the date on a previous doctors note that I had from when I was pretty sick and gave it to the prof to try and get more time to study. My prof called the clinic to check and discovered I had lied. I got a 0 in my class and was suspended for a semester.
I realize it was a really really stupid & very immature thing to do. I have no excuses for why I acted this way and I regret it immensely. I know I got what I deserved. Looking back, I clearly did not have the maturity or the discipline to handle university and lacked any kind of ethics or respect for the institution. My overall GPA from that school is also really low (like 2.6).

Since then I have completed another 4 yr undergrad degree and achieved a 3.95 cGPA WHILE working full-time & being a full-time student. I have about 5 years of professional work experience, as well as 5 years of community service (both hospital & community & vulnerable populations), as well as many years of solid clinic experience as well (both as a first aid volunteer & lots of shadowing). I have done both business & science research & have lots of international experiences to talk about. My MCAT is 520. I am currently completing my last year of an MBA program and planning on applying soon.

I had pretty much given up on medical school but then someone close to me was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and it kind of revoked the medical passion inside of me to try and make it. I have tried everything I possibly can to prove that I am not the same person as I was 10 years ago, but I am not sure if it is enough. How would admissions view this? Do I have a chance? I know this is a major red flag...but is there anything else I can do before I apply or am I just screwed forever???

I appreciate any advice that anyone could give me!

It may. It be on your transcript. Obtain your transcript to see what it says. I assume the zero will be there but not the reason. If that is the case, you should be good to go. I don’t think there are any questions on the application as to whether you were involved in academic misconduct. Should I be incorrect, only then, you can ask a medical school directly how they will handle this from 10 years ago, and I would select a medical school you think you do not want to attend.

I wish you every success.

@Bambi I assumed on the OMSAS application or other Canadian med school applications there was a question that asked about past academic misconduct?? I know they do for US schools so i thought it was the same. Is there a way I could check? I feel like regardless of the question, I would have to talk about it because there is a big fat 0 on my first undergrad transcript along with a gap in the semester. Thanks for reply and advice, I appreciate it!

As of last year's cycle there were two questions you would need to address but neither is directed specifically at academic misconduct. 

Has your undergraduate program been interrupted for reasons other than academic failure?

Have you ever failed a year at, been required to withdraw from, or been denied re-admission to a university?

19 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

As of last year's cycle there were two questions you would need to address but neither is directed specifically at academic misconduct. 

I've withdrawn from 2 professional school programs in the past and had to declare that on the OMSAS/ORPAS application. It gave me space to explain why I did but I do not believe it had an impact on my application since I was admitted to PT and MD. My friend was dismissed from an Masters program and was still admitted to an Ontario MD school. You'll need to explain yourself on the application though and be descriptive.