Premed 101 Forums

Australian Trained GP - salary coming back to Canada

12 hours ago, offmychestplease said:

You can look at every single FM doctor in AB’s Billings here. Again, it’s funny how deflated FM income is by some people 

https://nationalpost.com/health/leaked-report-offers-window-into-the-medical-one-percenters-and-growing-concern-over-md-pay-inequity/

I’m applying to FM so I fully support the higher compensation lol.

However, practising family doctors have told me that they’ve never made >400k even when working rural, ER, etc. 

Maybe it’s a province thing but I still find it surprising.

• 1 year later...

Hey to the OP, 
I'm in a similar position to you in that I am a Canadian who studied in Australia and did 2 years of training there. I eventually got on to BPT training in Australia and FM in Canada, and decided to come back to Canada and have now finished my training. Working in Ontario as a Hospitalist. and clinic-based FM you can easily make 250-300k. You can also make 500k but you would just have to see a lot more patients. There are also different models of care here (FHO, FHT, CHC) where you don't have to churn through patients like cattle as you do in a fee-for-service model. 

However, my only piece of advice to keep in mind is that working in Canada is way worse than Australia from a quality of care/worklife balance perspective. Canada has a serious shortage of docs compared to Australia so that means doing a lot more work/seeing a lot more patients. For example, I currently work as a hospitalist and I'm regularly looking after 15-20 patients on my own without anyone equivalent to Interns/RMOs/Registrars to help with notes, consults, DC summaries etc. Also, in the GP clinic settin, govt/MOH essentially expects you to have a roster of 1500-1800 patients which is a lot higher than in other countries. Essentially, the general standard of care you can provide to patients here is way lower than in Australia. So yeah just something to think about those things before coming back. TBH I think about going back to Australia quite often, but I also understand the appeal of coming back home. If you do decide to come back, look into working more in a more rural community as you can have a more comprehensive scope of practice (Clinic/ER/Hospitalist). And "rural/underserved" in Canada is like 1-2 hours away from a major city due to the scarcity of Doctors.

Anyways, lots of info but hope that helps. Feel free to message me directly if you want any more info. and Good luck!!

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, tucan24 said:

Hey to the OP, 
I'm in a similar position to you in that I am a Canadian who studied in Australia and did 2 years of training there. I eventually got on to BPT training in Australia and FM in Canada, and decided to come back to Canada and have now finished my training. Working in Ontario as a Hospitalist. and clinic-based FM you can easily make 250-300k. You can also make 500k but you would just have to see a lot more patients. There are also different models of care here (FHO, FHT, CHC) where you don't have to churn through patients like cattle as you do in a fee-for-service model. 

However, my only piece of advice to keep in mind is that working in Canada is way worse than Australia from a quality of care/worklife balance perspective. Canada has a serious shortage of docs compared to Australia so that means doing a lot more work/seeing a lot more patients. For example, I currently work as a hospitalist and I'm regularly looking after 15-20 patients on my own without anyone equivalent to Interns/RMOs/Registrars to help with notes, consults, DC summaries etc. Also, in the GP clinic settin, govt/MOH essentially expects you to have a roster of 1500-1800 patients which is a lot higher than in other countries. Essentially, the general standard of care you can provide to patients here is way lower than in Australia. So yeah just something to think about those things before coming back. TBH I think about going back to Australia quite often, but I also understand the appeal of coming back home. If you do decide to come back, look into working more in a more rural community as you can have a more comprehensive scope of practice (Clinic/ER/Hospitalist). And "rural/underserved" in Canada is like 1-2 hours away from a major city due to the scarcity of Doctors.

Anyways, lots of info but hope that helps. Feel free to message me directly if you want any more info. and Good luck!!

Hey I'm an international student trying to decide between medicine in Australia and Canada. It would be really great if you could help me out. Google has given me a lot of mixed information on both and I'm having a hard time choosing between the both. 

On 1/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, futuredoc2003 said:

Hey I'm an international student trying to decide between medicine in Australia and Canada. It would be really great if you could help me out. Google has given me a lot of mixed information on both and I'm having a hard time choosing between the both. 

I know that's not an answer to your question, but unless you consider yourself exceptional (and others do too), I wouldn't count on studying medicine in Canada if you're not from Canada. There barely are any spots for international students and they are extremely competitive (especially in Quebec).