Premed 101 Forums

Is DATcrusher enough for Canada DAT?

Hi Everyone,

I am taking the Canadian DAT for the first time and I am unsure how I should prepare. I know that the DATcrusher is a good resource for Canadian test takers, but I am wondering if this would be enough for me to score well. Or should I also be investing my time with Ferralis, Cliff Notes and Chad's video? 

The mini tips from DATcrusher recommends their students to review bio/chem info more in breadth than in depth but I've also heard that some questions are very specific (for example I briefly remember seeing a post about a student having to answer a question about the developmental biology of a sea urchin?). How should I study for the DAT, for those who have taken it, was it really just trying to memorize as much as you can?

And since I'm just starting my studying now, what topics are considered high yield, is there a list of general topics out there that are frequently tested on? If someone could direct me to a list of high  yield topics (if that exists), I would really appreciate it as I'm feeling quite overwhelmed and don't really know where to start. Thanks everyone!

If you can afford it, I would recommend getting both Dat crusher and DAT bootcamp. DAT bootcamp is an amazing source for chem and bio, they have great chem videos and in depth bio notes. As for the Dat Crusher, it has the paper print outs for the PAT which is helpful in learning how to tackle that on paper. In the chance that the DAT might be online due to COVID, DAT Bootcamp would be helpful in that sense since everything is online. 

I used DAT Crusher and the DAT Destroyer book along with their Dynamite Bio book , they were more than enough. If you follow the schedule crusher provides - it also points out all the relevant Chad's videos on youtube which was quite helpful. 

I don't know about the sea urchin question you mentioned but most questions on the DAT are pretty straight forward where you either know it or you don't. 

You can also find a list of topics on the DAT on the official DAT site: https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/. They don't point out high-yield topics but you get an idea of the topics covered. The only place I saw the high-yield topics were the crusher chemistry question solutions.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:29 AM, shiron said:

Hi Everyone,

I am taking the Canadian DAT for the first time and I am unsure how I should prepare. I know that the DATcrusher is a good resource for Canadian test takers, but I am wondering if this would be enough for me to score well. Or should I also be investing my time with Ferralis, Cliff Notes and Chad's video? 

The mini tips from DATcrusher recommends their students to review bio/chem info more in breadth than in depth but I've also heard that some questions are very specific (for example I briefly remember seeing a post about a student having to answer a question about the developmental biology of a sea urchin?). How should I study for the DAT, for those who have taken it, was it really just trying to memorize as much as you can?

And since I'm just starting my studying now, what topics are considered high yield, is there a list of general topics out there that are frequently tested on? If someone could direct me to a list of high  yield topics (if that exists), I would really appreciate it as I'm feeling quite overwhelmed and don't really know where to start. Thanks everyone!

Fast block of polyspermy for sea urchins. You will not find this on any resource for the DAT. This is knowledge from taking Developmental Biology courses in university. 

• 1 month later...