Premed 101 Forums

Hi All,

After recieving Regrets after Interview for this past cycle. Following the kind encouragement here and advice, I retook my MCAT to boost up my low score of 501 (126-125-125-125). This most recent MCAT I managed to do quite a bit better and got a 509 (126-127-128-128). The overall percentile scores were 77th overall, 65th-82th-83th-79th. 

Currently, I have the option to potentially write again before the end of August to boost this score up even higher. I've been on the fence as to if this is feasible or needed. With my current stats (posted below) would it be recomended for me to write again to be competative? Am I at any significant disadvantages if I manage to get a worse score, or same overall with a different spread of numbers, say a lower CARS and higher Chem? In general, do you think a 509, a high enough score, compiled with my AGPA of 84.7? 

Any input on this decision would be incredibly helpful, thanks!

Result:    Regrets After Interview

Geography: In province

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
Timestamp: 7:04 am PST
AGPA: ~84.7 %

NAQ score: 75th -100th Percentile

EC's - I feel like this was the strength of my application. I have a variety of strong service, leadership, hospital experience, awards, research with over 10 publications, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences. Almost all of my experiences were long-term commitments. 
MCAT: 501 
Interview: Above Average Interview

Year: BSc. with Honors 2018

I think 509 is a fine score! However, do you think the 509 was around what you were scoring in the practices, or much lower? Because if you think 509 is still not your best score, taking the MCAT again might be an opportunity to boost your application even more. Of course, it's not the best idea because you may want to spend the money/time to focus on applications instead.

It's just a thought in case you think the 509 wasn't your best performance :)

Great job on the improvement for your score!  Just echoing others above:  Since you've spent time and energy already to study and prepare for the MCAT, you can use end-of-August exams as an opportunity to give it another shot.  Worst case scenario is that you get below 509, which for UBC won't matter as they take your best score (but be careful for other Canadian schools, if you do apply there, e.g. UoT).  A new exam may pose some stress on your wallet haha, but in my personal opinion, it's worth the energy you've spent to already prepare for the exam.

The reason why I do recommend writing it is because, although your 509 is good, it's some what of a risk since your GPA is a bit lower than the average applicant.  From what I've heard, applicants essentially have to prove themselves academically, non-academically, etc.  As for the academic part, it comes down to your GPA and MCAT.  If either is "low", then the other one should compensate.  If the other one doesn't, then the decision will have to rely on other variables that the admissions team are prioritizing.

If you want to maximize your chance, especially academically, I would recommend giving the MCAT another go.  All the best!

1 minute ago, Neurophiliac said:

Great job on the improvement for your score!  Just echoing others above:  Since you've spent time and energy already to study and prepare for the MCAT, you can use end-of-August exams as an opportunity to give it another shot.  Worst case scenario is that you get below 509, which for UBC won't matter as they take your best score (but be careful for other Canadian schools, if you do apply there, e.g. UoT).  A new exam may pose some stress on your wallet haha, but in my personal opinion, it's worth the energy you've spent to already prepare for the exam.

The reason why I do recommend writing it is because, although your 509 is good, it's some what of a risk since your GPA is a bit lower than the average applicant.  From what I've heard, applicants essentially have to prove themselves academically, non-academically, etc.  As for the academic part, it comes down to your GPA and MCAT.  If either is "low", then the other one should compensate.  If the other one doesn't, then the decision will have to rely on other variables that the admissions team is prioritizing.

If you want to maximize your chance, especially academically, I would recommend giving the MCAT another go.  All the best!

I like the way you put this, for what it's worth I concur - as someone with a similar GPA to you @FutureSir, I told myself I wasn't going to settle for anything less than a 90th percentile MCAT. (But then I did settle for something just below, lol. Within the range though). If you feel like you have it in you, give it another go. If you aren't going to school this fall, it might also be worth it to sign up for a fall date to give yourself leeway study time