Premed 101 Forums

Chances getting into McMaster?

What are my chances of getting into McMaster med school?

- Have an Engineering Bachelor in Sustainable and Renewable Energy Degree from Carleton University, Ottawa. GPA is 3.0 

- Graduated in 2016, currently 26 years old

- Been working for the past 4 years win Dubai, UAE. had a senior position at the biggest startup in the Middle East, recently acquired by Uber, then had another senior position at the head office of a highly reputable bank. My experience is mostly focused on the business aspect such growth, strategy, partnerships, etc.

- Didn't do the MCAT yet, but from the AAMC practice exams I am getting in the range of 123-126 on CARS

- Canadian citizen, used to live in Ottawa, Ontario

- Biggest mistake in life is not getting into medical school. 

So I know that my GPA and CARS are on the lowest end, but does having experience and being a mature student give me good chances of getting into McMaster?

Should I apply? Should I not? What are the chances?

The MCAT has been really stressing me out and the only reason I am doing it is to apply for McMaster, the exam is this week and I don't think I'll be able to improve on my CARS. So if my chances are not that good to get into McMaster, I think I should reschedule the MCAT and go with a plan B next year, or apply at other universities. 

What do you guys think?

Highly appreciate the help :)

Even with a stellar CARS score (I’m talking 130+), I think you would still be held back by your GPA. Seeing as how Mac looks at your cGPA (i.e. doesn’t drop any courses), and doesn’t care about any of the experiences you’ve had (ECs, work, and volunteering are irrelevant to them, unless it’s a graduate degree), unfortunately I don’t see you having a realistic shot there regardless of how well you do on CARS or Casper.

Gpa is crazy important for Canadian med schools, so if you had an upward trend in your degree, some of the schools that let you drop certain courses to produce a wGPA, or use only your two best years, could be on the table (particularly if your experiences are strong), but that’s hard to judge without knowing your GPA breakdown year-by-year, if they were full course-load, etc. Realistically though, unless your upward trend is REALLY strong, you’re going to have a tough time getting your foot in the door anywhere for an interview, especially in Ontario; I think the GPA is too low to meet the cutoffs to even be considered. Likely, the remedy here would have to be further undergraduate studies to bring it up. 

I’m sure not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps!

McMaster is an extremely long shot even with a 130+ CARS given your cGPA. They only look at numbers, so your experience unfortunately isn't considered here. 

If your 2-year GPA at least above 3.7, you maybe have a shot at Queen's but you need at least a 126 CARS (according to the posted stats on the forum in the last few years). They look at your ECs a bit more.

Otherwise, I'd recommend getting a second BSc degree in something you can excel at if med is truly your lifelong dream. 

It sounds like you have some wonderful life experience that would make you a great candidate for some schools, but unlikely a good candidate at MAC. 

To be blunt, MAC cares only about numbers. Not about you or life experience. 

I would research other schools to find ones that are more friendly to person with life experience and then tailor your application to those schools. Most certainly you are going to need to crush the MCAT in every section. Your GPA is just low as it stands now to have an average MCAT. Consider the MCAT your initiation to the rigours of medical school. This is your proving ground. 

A second degree or masters degree (VERY school dependent) could boost your application enough, but you will still need a solid MCAT score.

Queens, UBC, Memorial, and U of Calgary are schools that are typically more accepting of students who have wonderful life experiences that can make up for their lower marks.

Research every single school in Canada and find the one who makes the most sense to you. Call them, talk to them, ask questions. Research long and hard. You have an uphill battle but if it is truly what you want then you will persevere.

Consider also a MD Admissions paid advisor. Astroff has a good reputation.