Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS GPA

1 minute ago, premedjulss said:

Does anyone know if OMSAS rounds the GPA? For example, if you have a 3.89765, is it rounded to a 3.90? Since it's always 2 decimals. Or will it stay at 3.89 on OMSAS?

I heard that schools only take the course grades as reported on OMSAS and then do their own calculation depending on their policies.

So the OMSAS GPA is irrelevant. Ottawa, for example, allegedly counts up to 3 decimal places.

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 10:03 AM, DrOtter said:

I heard that schools only take the course grades as reported on OMSAS and then do their own calculation depending on their policies.

So the OMSAS GPA is irrelevant. Ottawa, for example, allegedly counts up to 3 decimal places.

Dr. Otter are you saying that the OMSAS GPA is simply reported and then schools do their own calculation? I spoke to admissions at Queens and was told they use the OMSAS GPA for their screening so in a way it does really count? Do you mind providing a reference I can read to confirm if you have one? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, premed1989 said:

Dr. Otter are you saying that the OMSAS GPA is simply reported and then schools do their own calculation? I spoke to admissions at Queens and was told they use the OMSAS GPA for their screening so in a way it does really count? Do you mind providing a reference I can read to confirm if you have one? Thanks!

Your OMSAS GPA, the only one listed in OMSAS, is an unweighted cGPA. Other than Mac, All schools have their own weighting formulas. Therefore, the OMSAS GPA won't be the same as the weighted GPA used by UofT, Ottawa, Western, or Queens.  

23 hours ago, theevilsloth said:

Your OMSAS GPA, the only one listed in OMSAS, is an unweighted cGPA. Other than Mac, All schools have their own weighting formulas. Therefore, the OMSAS GPA won't be the same as the weighted GPA used by UofT, Ottawa, Western, or Queens.  

Thank you for your response. Does the weighting formula use the OMSAS GPA or the GPA calculated by the school? I'm guessing OMSAS or else what would be the point of calculating it if the school didn't use it but I just want to get clarification.

6 hours ago, premed1989 said:

Thank you for your response. Does the weighting formula use the OMSAS GPA or the GPA calculated by the school? I'm guessing OMSAS or else what would be the point of calculating it if the school didn't use it but I just want to get clarification.

The weighting formula for which school? In Ontario if you apply to all 5 schools, some applicants will have a different GPA at every single school.