Premed 101 Forums

French for McGill Clerkship

I am a McGill medical student.

If anyone was able to go through Clerkship at McGill without knowing any french, I would appreciate it if you could DM me for a couple of questions. Or if you know someone who is in that situation and are willing to connect me with him/her.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, dooogs said:

Sorry to bump this thread but I am curious if you know if having a working knowledge of French helps with Matching to McGill

@SGT@oneday1

matching for residency? absolutely. you will have a french portion of the interview so ensure you prepare for that. 

I think you can get away with not speaking fluently but its being less and less tolerated. The middle eastern residents all manage though, however they're largely in surgical specialties and there isn't much conversation involved in those patient interviews. They rely a lot on med students for translation. 

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

matching for residency? absolutely. you will have a french portion of the interview so ensure you prepare for that. 

I think you can get away with not speaking fluently but its being less and less tolerated. The middle eastern residents all manage though, however they're largely in surgical specialties and there isn't much conversation involved in those patient interviews. They rely a lot on med students for translation. 

Are there any summer opportunities for pre-clerks from other schools to have some clinical learning experiences (not during COVID of course)? 

Im at a B2 for French but never practice it within a clinical setting 

On 1/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, dooogs said:

Are there any summer opportunities for pre-clerks from other schools to have some clinical learning experiences (not during COVID of course)? 

Im at a B2 for French but never practice it within a clinical setting 

I don't think so - you could always email the admissions office and find out! but i dont think so. even during med school the clinical experiences in french are your rotations.