Premed 101 Forums

Stereotypical Hobbies & Interests Per Specialty

Just as a follow up, I've shadowed 15 ophthalmologists over this summer and a couple of them seem to have an appreciation for handblown glass. I've been looking into getting into glass blowing to help with CARMS but would appreciate any suggestions. Would it be enough to take lessons maybe once a week for the next 3 years or should I invest in a home setup so I can practice more (~$5k to $25k which ofc I would put on my LOC).

Alternatively are there similar hobbies I could try instead? I have a real fear of heat/fire but if necessary this is something I am willing to take on.

13 minutes ago, ballsortahard said:

Just as a follow up, I've shadowed 15 ophthalmologists over this summer and a couple of them seem to have an appreciation for handblown glass. I've been looking into getting into glass blowing to help with CARMS but would appreciate any suggestions. Would it be enough to take lessons maybe once a week for the next 3 years or should I invest in a home setup so I can practice more (~$5k to $25k which ofc I would put on my LOC).

Alternatively are there similar hobbies I could try instead? I have a real fear of heat/fire but if necessary this is something I am willing to take on.

I would suggest you invest in a home setup... if you were a high school student. Ophthalmology and handblown glass is well-known combination to ANYONE looking to get into the field. You should have started this much, much earlier. Drop the $25K tomorrow to give yourself some sort of chance, but don't put too much hope into it. Back up CARMS with neuropathology and be prepared to go unmatched

28 minutes ago, ballsortahard said:

Maybe if you shadow another 15 ophthals you'll find that a couple of them absolutely despise glass blowing and would never match anyone who goes near glass blowing into their specialty

You're not going to be very relatable if you just take on hobbies in the hopes that it'll match the hobbies of the current residents. If you're not passionate about what you do it shows pretty quickly, conversely you can make anything sound interesting if you're passionate enough.

A good start would be actually having hobbies. If you have multiple things going on outside of medicine its much easier to make small-talk. Even if people don't get your hobby you can explain it to them. It definitely helps if the hobby isn't weird.

“Being weird” would include but not be limited to collecting your belly button lint, staring intensely at people’s chests for minutes without blinking, not respecting personal space (pre-covid that means people still want at least 2 feet between you when face to face) or asking “captain obvious” questions like ‘can people with intellectual disabilities have interest in sex and romantic relationships?’.

There is help! Ask your best friend and/or doctor if “being weird” is part of you...note that risks of asking others this question may include making your future relationship feel awkward, increased “social distancing”, and odd surreptitious glances in your direction. 

OK, in all seriousness I know a guy who ate a whole bbq chicken in a patient session? Ya...you Gotta get your proteins in, but geez!

2 hours ago, W0lfgang said:

Examples of being weird:

- wearing a bright green suit for your carms interview

- eating a packet of butter for lunch in rounds

- drinking tim horton's coffee thru a stir stick

- asking me about my hobbies when i'm in the middle of a case

I could go on.

I like drinking coffee through stir sticks! It’s like drinking your Yerba mate through a straw.

my trouble is that you can’t find the straw like stix  anymore...