Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to get in UBC med school with all degrees (a Bsc and a Msc) from China?


Recommended Posts

I am double Chinese/Canadian citizen who moved to Vancouver about 3 years ago for work. I have a Bsc and a Msc degree both from an quite competitive chinese university which is likely to be unknown to the admission committee anyways though. I have had good GPAs and  a good publication record but I am afraid the mere fact that my degree is from a foreign non-english speaking country may hinder me from getting into medical school here at UBC. Like they may just write me off without even looking deep into my achievements, etc. Are there anyone else here with similar experiences? Btw, the school is china was far more competitive to get in that UBC or any other school in NA (like 1 in 500 could get in) .

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, neurologist19 said:

I am double Chinese/Canadian citizen who moved to Vancouver about 3 years ago for work. I have a Bsc and a Msc degree both from an quite competitive chinese university which is likely to be unknown to the admission committee anyways though. I have had good GPAs and  a good publication record but I am afraid the mere fact that my degree is from a foreign non-english speaking country may hinder me from getting into medical school here at UBC. Like they may just write me off without even looking deep into my achievements, etc. Are there anyone else here with similar experiences? Btw, the school is china was far more competitive to get in that UBC or any other school in NA (like 1 in 500 could get in) .

Any thoughts?

Thanks

First you have to get your credentials(Degrees) verified by a company like WES.   If they are accepted, and you get numerical scores, then that can make up your GPA portion of the application.

UBC values your non-academics for 50% of your pre-interview score. So everything else counts just as much, like work, volunteering, research, hobbies etc.

The competitiveness of your program/school/degree choice is irrelevant to medical schools in Canada they only look at the GPA number.  It won't help or hurt you,  your grade % is what matters most for the GPA portion (50%) of your application before you get to the interview stage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

You aren't calling out racism. You sound really arrogant and don't understand some of the many reasons schools have WES evaluations. 

Okay attacking people and calling them arrogant, ignorant, etc because they have a different opinion that you. You never experienced the unique experiences I had in life or maybe you are also having some (un)conscious biases as well, who knows. I sincerely ask you to stop going off-topic. I deleted the part about the unconscious bias and cultural pride that is rampant in western society. So now you should be good. Please focus on the question asked and not off-topic stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, neurologist19 said:

I am double Chinese/Canadian citizen who moved to Vancouver about 3 years ago for work. I have a Bsc and a Msc degree both from an quite competitive chinese university which is likely to be unknown to the admission committee anyways though. I have had good GPAs and  a good publication record but I am afraid the mere fact that my degree is from a foreign non-english speaking country may hinder me from getting into medical school here at UBC. Like they may just write me off without even looking deep into my achievements, etc. Are there anyone else here with similar experiences? Btw, the school is china was far more competitive to get in that UBC or any other school in NA (like 1 in 500 could get in) .

Any thoughts?

Thanks

In case you haven't seen this yet: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admission-requirements/

Go to Transcript Requirements -> International Transcripts

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vms said:

In case you haven't seen this yet: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admission-requirements/

Go to Transcript Requirements -> International Transcripts

I saw this but I am wondering about the subjective part. Even if you get the interview, I am wondering how it would play a part. Also my research and NAQ were done there so it cam affect that part too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, neurologist19 said:

I saw this but I am wondering about the subjective part. Even if you get the interview, I am wondering how it would play a part. Also my research and NAQ were done there so it cam affect that part too.

I'm pretty sure that as long as your degree is accepted, you will be treated like any other applicant. I don't think the fact that you did your activities and research in China will have any impact. UBC's evaluation is quite objective. They just quantify the various aspects of your application. In contrast, for U.S. med schools, a committee meets to discuss each applicant, so it might be more subjective in the states.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neurologist19 said:

I am double Chinese/Canadian citizen who moved to Vancouver about 3 years ago for work. I have a Bsc and a Msc degree both from an quite competitive chinese university which is likely to be unknown to the admission committee anyways though. I have had good GPAs and  a good publication record but I am afraid the mere fact that my degree is from a foreign non-english speaking country may hinder me from getting into medical school here at UBC. Like they may just write me off without even looking deep into my achievements, etc. Are there anyone else here with similar experiences? Btw, the school is china was far more competitive to get in that UBC or any other school in NA (like 1 in 500 could get in) .

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I think the best thing to do is to e-mail the admissions committee yourself :) I doubt they'd discriminate against international graduates though

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I agree with VMS. 

As long as your school's credits are good with WES/ICES you should be treated the same as other students.

I don't think that talking about how your old school is more prestigious than the school you're applying to is going to impress any interviewer however...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...