Premed 101 Forums

Long Term EC commitment

Hey everyone,

Recently, I've realized that my ECs are very lacking due to my heavy focus on GPA.  Now, I was wondering that if I was to volunteer heavily, like have tons of hours for a few activities, would that help out for UBC's emphasis on long term commitment? The ideal case would be tons of hours over years but in my case, would UBC value fewer hours over many years or a ton of hours over a few months?

Also, how long would be classified as long term commitment (1 year? 2 years? 3+ years?)

Thanks

No one would know exactly how they assess time commitment unless you are on the admissions committee. I would think both are equally important, but I wouldn't wait just to have "long term" commitment before applying. Just do as many hours as you can reasonably do, and don't jump to new activities excessively. Keep accumulating hours even after you apply, so that you have an improved application by the next cycle as well.

17 hours ago, youbesee said:

No one would know exactly how they assess time commitment unless you are on the admissions committee. I would think both are equally important, but I wouldn't wait just to have "long term" commitment before applying. Just do as many hours as you can reasonably do, and don't jump to new activities excessively. Keep accumulating hours even after you apply, so that you have an improved application by the next cycle as well.

I agree with youbesee! It turns out, most of the activities on my application were <100 hours long. As well, I chose to focus on academics in in 1st year, so most of my undergrad ECs were started in 2nd year. As well, I got accepted after 3rd year so technically, all of my undergrad ECs were just 1 year commitments on my appliation.

I did have 3 activities that were 100-200 hours long, and a few from high school that were more than 200 hours though.