Premed 101 Forums

People accepted to UBC Med, please share your Ecs?

I'm about to start UG in about a month. Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the possible ECs that I can choose to do. I was hoping that those who were accepted to UBC med or any Canadian med school could broadly share their ECs.

Thank you so much everyone! 

17 minutes ago, Blank7 said:

I'm about to start UG in about a month. Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the possible ECs that I can choose to do. I was hoping that those who were accepted to UBC med or any Canadian med school could broadly share their ECs.

I recommend booking a free consultation with AppCondenser (www.appcondenser.com) - they'll help you out big time

3 minutes ago, inininini said:

I recommend booking a free consultation with AppCondenser (www.appcondenser.com) - they'll help you out big time

I'm not applying anytime soon, I just finished highschool :P I'm just looking for recommendations to types of ECs I should do during my undergrad years

3 hours ago, Blank7 said:

I would recommend finding ECs that you are passionate about and/or continuing activities from high school that you enjoy (Sports/music/ volunteer/teaching.. ). 

Your application will be much stronger with ECs that are uniquely you and that you have committed to for many years. 

1 hour ago, keiko88 said:

I would recommend finding ECs that you are passionate about and/or continuing activities from high school that you enjoy (Sports/music/ volunteer/teaching.. ). 

Your application will be much stronger with ECs that are uniquely you and that you have committed to for many years. 

Thank you for your advice! 

UBC doesn’t care what your ECs are specifically, and they don’t need to be related to medicine or health. But they do look for how you demonstrate  qualities like leadership, ability to work with others, service to your community, etc.  You could check out the criteria on the help guide to see a bit more detail. Remember that paid work counts as well, at least for UBC.  If you want to see a wide range of things people do, try reading through the accepted applicants posts pinned to the top of the UBC page. 

So I agree with the above advice that you should do things you’re interested in and can commit to, and that can let you demonstrate those qualities. This can include a lot of things like hobbies, sports, etc., it’s not all classic premed things like volunteering with marginalized communities. And completely disagree with suggestion that you need any kind of consultation with an application service, particularly one that offers paid services that they’ll try to sell you. Enjoy your first year of university. 

• 1 month later...