Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation question

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me understand UofA GPA calculation.
I'm wondering if GPA is calculated by averaging each yearly average, or if its the average of all individual courses (minus worst year where applicable).

Eg.
Option 1: ((Yr. 1 GPA) + (Yr. 2 GPA) + (Yr. 3 GPA) + (Yr. 4 GPA))/4
Option 2: (Sum of all GPAs of every course taken)/# of courses taken

(this makes a difference in my situation since different numbers of courses were taken in different years)

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, ----- said:

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me understand UofA GPA calculation.
I'm wondering if GPA is calculated by averaging each yearly average, or if its the average of all individual courses (minus worst year where applicable).

Eg.
Option 1: ((Yr. 1 GPA) + (Yr. 2 GPA) + (Yr. 3 GPA) + (Yr. 4 GPA))/4
Option 2: (Sum of all GPAs of every course taken)/# of courses taken

(this makes a difference in my situation since different numbers of courses were taken in different years)

Thanks!

I believe it is based on total grade points/total units taken (excluding lowest year)

Edit: Removed what I said and changed it because I reread your question and realized I misunderstood what you were asking. (Derp)

Edited by AlteplaseStat
misunderstood their questions

5 minutes ago, AlteplaseStat said:

I could be wrong, but if you have sufficient credits then I am fairly sure they remove the year with the lowest GPA. I do not believe they pick out the individual classes with the lowest GPA throughout your degree. From their website: 

Ahh yes, I believe you're right -- though that's actually not what I am trying to figure out!
My question may not be posed very clearly... if it doesn't make sense after you read it again please let me know and I can try to re-explain what I am trying to ask! Thanks :)