Premed 101 Forums

AQ Calculation question

Short answer: yes

Long answer: two people with the same GPA score will have the same AQ each application cycle, i.e. an 88 GPA might be 25 AQ in this application cycle but might be only 23 AQ next cycle. This is because AQ is a standardized representation of academic performance in comparison to the whole applicant pool, and the applicant pool can change in "demographics" (i.e. average GPA or NAQ) year-to-year

12 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Short answer: yes

Long answer: two people with the same GPA score will have the same AQ each application cycle, i.e. an 88 GPA might be 25 AQ in this application cycle but might be only 23 AQ next cycle. This is because AQ is a standardized representation of academic performance in comparison to the whole applicant pool, and the applicant pool can change in "demographics" (i.e. average GPA or NAQ) year-to-year

Hey, thanks for your reply! That’s very interesting, and yes I was referring to 2 applicants with the same AGPA from the same application cycle. I can’t seem to find any official source that answers my exact question.  Where did you get your information from? 
thanks again! 

No worries fam and yeah so in terms of answering your exact question you probs won't find an explicit answer from any of UBC's info that they put out, but the answer to your question can be deduced from the fact that it's common knowledge (based on the existence of an AQ score in the first place) that UBC assesses GPA by standardizing each applicant's GPA against the total pool to generate an AQ score. Thus two applicants with the same GPA will get the same AQ that cycle

However also keep in mind this is pre-interview only. Post-interview, "all sections of an applicant's file are reviewed" holistically. We don't know what the exact process is, but UBC does tell us that one thing that plays a role is grade trends. So, if two applicants had the same GPA (i.e. AQ) and same NAQ and same MCAT score and same interview score and same everything, but one of them got an 88 GPA because of a really high first year whereas the other got it because of a really high fourth year, the latter applicant would score higher on the post-interview review process

37 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

No worries fam and yeah so in terms of answering your exact question you probs won't find an explicit answer from any of UBC's info that they put out, but the answer to your question can be deduced from the fact that it's common knowledge (based on the existence of an AQ score in the first place) that UBC assesses GPA by standardizing each applicant's GPA against the total pool to generate an AQ score. Thus two applicants with the same GPA will get the same AQ that cycle

However also keep in mind this is pre-interview only. Post-interview, "all sections of an applicant's file are reviewed" holistically. We don't know what the exact process is, but UBC does tell us that one thing that plays a role is grade trends. So, if two applicants had the same GPA (i.e. AQ) and same NAQ and same MCAT score and same interview score and same everything, but one of them got an 88 GPA because of a really high first year whereas the other got it because of a really high fourth year, the latter applicant would score higher on the post-interview review process

Makes sense. Thanks my friend!