Premed 101 Forums

Withdraw MCAT from 2021 Canadian Med School Admission

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here on Premed 101 Forums. I'm a Canadian premed student who has been very concerned for the health and safety of examinees like myself who have and will be writing the MCAT during a pandemic. Our fellow peers who are immunocompromised are at a greater risk, however they have no choice but to put their lives at risk by writing the MCAT during these time. I myself am mainly worried about the health of an immediate family member with whom I live. The AAMC has not been cooperative enough to add more test dates in September or any in October, or to allow the exam to be taken online like the LSAT. They have also been ignoring students' concerns left and right. Whether you are a premed student who has yet to write their MCAT or one who has already written it, I urge you to come together and help support each other in order to prevent putting more students' lives at risk with increasing numbers of COVID-19 infections in Canada. I ask that you please read this petition and support it by signing and sharing it. Please feel free to remain anonymous. 

I appreciate your help.

https://www.change.org/p/royal-college-of-physicians-and-surgeons-of-canada-withdraw-the-mcat-from-the-september-2021-canadian-medical-school-admission-requirement

3 hours ago, Sara Jean said:

Our fellow peers who are immunocompromised are at a greater risk, however they have no choice but to put their lives at risk by writing the MCAT during these time

Maybe they shouldn’t become a doctor then and expose themselves any further... what exactly is an immunocompromised doctor going to do. Why is everyone so entitled to med lol. If I don’t have hands I shouldn’t think of becoming a surgeon. And I know what you’re going to say about rad/path where you don’t see patients, but come on schools not using MCAT for any applicants bc of that?

So let’s say it is manageable and they can be a doc, why do they have to write the mcat this year? They should prioritize their own safety first and not write it this year haphazardly, that’s their own responsibility, not the med schools to hold their hand.

But tbh I’d rather someone take it as far as you then to go the other extreme and think the pandemic isn’t real. I guess I’m just trying to caution you to be realistic. Don’t take it too personally. But there is a lot more to this topic than simply making med more accessible to applicants. Doing that would not be addressing the issue at all, in fact your suggestion is arguably vastly more unfair for those that are relying on their mcat to secure them interviews with the worse/lack of gpa weighting.