Premed 101 Forums

Dual Applying CaRMS and NRMP

Canadian Citizen, US Medical Grad

I am indifferent to matching in either country. Both have pros and cons but if it came down to it, would prefer Canada for family. 

Here is the problem. 

NRMP (USA) Match - March 19 2021

CaRMS - April 21, 2021

Thus, this year due to COVID, the Canadian Match is AFTER the American match. 

1. Would I have to forfeit my USA match to apply to Canada? (I am not doing this due to the risk of going unmatched as my step scores are competitive)

2. If I apply both and match USA, then Match Canada, what happens? Do they talk like the roles were reveresed previously?

I have no idea.

Please advise if anyone else is in this situation. 

Whichever match happens first takes priority (so the NRMP assuming you match), you'll be automatically withdrawn from CARMs and won't know if you would have been ranked. Something to keep in mind though is the training length/equivalency and whether you plan to work in Canada/US in the future though. eg. if you 3 years FM in the US, you can end up working in either country, but if you do 2 years FM in canada, you need an extra year of training to get equivalency to the US.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you applying for? Feel free to DM as well.

36 minutes ago, excelspreadsheet said:

Whichever match happens first takes priority (so the NRMP assuming you match), you'll be automatically withdrawn from CARMs and won't know if you would have been ranked. Something to keep in mind though is the training length/equivalency and whether you plan to work in Canada/US in the future though. eg. if you 3 years FM in the US, you can end up working in either country, but if you do 2 years FM in canada, you need an extra year of training to get equivalency to the US.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you applying for? Feel free to DM as well.

classic problem

I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought usually the NRMP happens to go first (at least it seemed to every time I checked). 

and yes what ever takes you first cancels the other one - the price for double dipping is in the end you still only get to play in one pool. That can modify your choices for one (if you are pretty sure you will match in Canada for what you want but are seeking what you think are superior US locations then you don't need to rank every possible place in the US). CARMS is always a balance of probabilities for everyone - the final full step out of objective evaluation basically on anything every again. 

On 8/24/2020 at 11:11 PM, rmorelan said:

classic problem

I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought usually the NRMP happens to go first (at least it seemed to every time I checked). 

and yes what ever takes you first cancels the other one - the price for double dipping is in the end you still only get to play in one pool. That can modify your choices for one (if you are pretty sure you will match in Canada for what you want but are seeking what you think are superior US locations then you don't need to rank every possible place in the US). CARMS is always a balance of probabilities for everyone - the final full step out of objective evaluation basically on anything every again. 

Over the last few years, CaRMS has been before NRMP:

• 2020:
    • CaRMS: March 3
    • NRMP: Match Week March 16-20
    • CaRMS: February 26
    • NRMP: Match Week March 11-15
  • 2018:
    • CaRMS: March 1
    • NRMP: Match Week March 12-16
  • 2017:
    • NRMP: Match Week March 13-17

This has meant dual applicants have been able to enter CaRMS 1st iteration, then NRMP Match, then SOAP, then CaRMS 2nd iteration (assuming they didn't match in a preceding step). The change for 2021 with NRMP being before CaRMS may be a good or bad thing for some, depending on which is their priority

2 hours ago, lolz3 said:

Over the last few years, CaRMS has been before NRMP:

• 2020:
    • CaRMS: March 3
    • NRMP: Match Week March 16-20
    • CaRMS: February 26
    • NRMP: Match Week March 11-15
  • 2018:
    • NRMP: Match Week March 12-16
  • 2017:
    • NRMP: Match Week March 13-17

This has meant dual applicants have been able to enter CaRMS 1st iteration, then NRMP Match, then SOAP, then CaRMS 2nd iteration (assuming they didn't match in a preceding step). The change for 2021 with NRMP being before CaRMS may be a good or bad thing for some, depending on which is their priority

ah thanks - I knew it moved around but didn't notice it was so consistently inverted from when last I looked. 

yeah that can be good or bad depending - at least the NRMP will be done prior to second round.