Premed 101 Forums

Pre-med SOS Alberta's

Ieva

Hi guys, I'm a new member, even though I've started reading the forum back in 2020.

Long story short, I'm from the UK and will be getting my Canadian PR (hopefully) next year, therefore I'm aiming for 2022 (2023 if it'll take longer than anticipated) admissions. I'm a non-trad student, I've graduated from a BSc back in 2013, and my GPA (converted to a Canadian grading system by WES) is 3.33. Now I know it's not high enough..

Apologies in advance if someone has previously asked the same question, but I personally couldn't find it, but is it possible to gain undergraduate credits in college? i.e. I'll be aiming for UofC and UofA, as by the time I'll be applying I'll be classed as a IP applicant. I'm considering taking advantage of the 10 year exception and found a couple of 2 year college programs which are not only interesting but also a great back up plan should (God forbid!) something goes wrong.

I've also heard about the DIY postbac, however, I'm not sure if Alberta's schools allow this. 

Luckily I have loads of work and quite a bit of volunteering experience, so raising my GPA and smashing MCAT are my priorities.

Any advice will be much appreciated! thanks!