Premed 101 Forums

sGPA Question - not taking 100% course load

Hey, so apparently if you don't take a 100% course load then ORPAS will average the yearly grade instead of simply calculating each of the last 20 courses?  Is this correct?  I thought only UofT does this averaging stuff, and I Thought they only do it if they have to go back to a year to extract grades as part of the last 20 courses.  I thought whether you take 5 or 3 courses per term is irrelevant but it appears that it matters?  I'm rather confused and I have no idea what's going on.  I have read a lot in the websites to no avail.  

I mean is the averaging thing designed to penalize people for not taking a 100% course load?  I really don't get it.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

I found it so confusing too especially cause my school doesn't have full-year courses. Took me awhile to figure out. But because some schools have full-year courses, they extract using the average of that year (at least that's the reason I read on U of T's website or ORPAS, I forget). It definitely didn't work to my advantage but I don't think it's intended to penalize for less than 5 courses/term.