Premed 101 Forums

Overnight call in FM

NTW

Same, 1:4 - 1:7, almost all home call - rarely have to go in, rarely woken up at night - rural program. Still home call for Obstetrics and Surgery but would only bring me in overnight occasionally. Program specific though

Off-service can vary in residency - other residents did in hospital call if at tertiary site - sometimes 1:2 stretches for Obs block. IM was subsequent night float shifts.

You have to look up the individual programs and rotations, because they are all over the map.

At my FM residency program, obs and intermediate care nursery were 24hr in-house call and insanely busy.  The typical FM call was hospitalist call 1:4 and hours were 5-11pm.  GenSx was technically 24hr call but the surgeon tended to be first call after 11pm and only called us in if they thought we could learn from the case (which was rarely the case as most of the time you would be called in for the surgical assist and nothing more).

Some FM programs in BC are in-house overnight hospital call 1:4 and super busy (ie. chilliwack) and others are FM home call, mainly dealing with telephone calls.

• 2 weeks later...

My residency has 24 hour in house overnight call only on OB/Gyn. Otherwise your call is done at 11pm with no post-call day unless you get stuck at the hospital until at least 1am managing a sick patient. There are overnight shifts on emerg and evening (5pm- midnight) admissionist shifts, but nothing 24 hours. 

We do have home call when we're on FM blocks whenever our primary preceptor is on call, but it's generally pretty infrequent and it's very rare to get woken up at night. 

I actually did not know this about my program's call schedule until after I'd matched there and I have been loooooving it. 

• 7 months later...

We have 6 to 8 weeks of one week hospitalization periods over our entire residency (where you are basically on call 24/7 for a week). In reality though you go in at 8 am and leave when the work is done. Some days its noon, others 8pm. Then you go home and take calls only for your patients. If something major happens you go in. But if you happen to have to work a significant part of the night you have the right to take 8 hours off after according to our union convention, and in no case can you work more than 16hrs in a row. However this is a non issue, as these scenarios rarely happen as the program respects our union contract very rigourously. 

We get a few evening shifts a month in the emergency room, but those days you get the afternoon off and also the next morning.

Then in some specific rotations like obgyn there can be more on call time. 1-2 days a week. You can ask for more if you want more exposure though. I think in my obgyn rotation they asked minimum 1 evening a week + one weekend. In my internal medicine rotation it was one evening a week plus one weekend and no overnight calls. 

Many optional rotations don't have any on-call hours either, but obviously depends what it is. Geriatrics has no calls for the whole month, sweet deal! Palliative care has much more for obvious reasons. 

Moral of the story is that it varies hugely depending on province, university and even your specific site.