Premed 101 Forums

Virtual Physiotherapy?

Hi everyone! I’m a physiotherapy student myself at Mcgill University. I’m about to finish my graduation. I was going through various fields that I can focus on, and Sports medicine is what I think I can be good at. I’m a great sports enthusiast, and I think I can help the field. But the internet took me to this different sector called Virtual physiotherapy in Toronto. It’s an interesting idea which is now being greatly followed because of the pandemic situation. It’s like you can treat your patients via a smart device that is through video calls. But I’m not sure about the authenticity in the results that can be produced. Have anyone tried these out? Is it an ethical way to treat patients? If it’s right, I hope to practice it as a side hustle when I do my masters in Sports medicine. Enlighten me, people.

Exercise, activity modification, education, and reassurance are some of our most powerful and impactful skills/tools that we have as physiotherapists. What makes these even more powerful is that they can all be done remotely and do not require the use of our hands. Yes, we are in a hands-on profession - there's no way around that - but our hands are most certainly not the be-all and end-all of what we have to offer to our patients. In fact, the evidence base actually supports the use of the aforementioned skills I mentioned as the most effective interventions physiotherapists can provide to improve function, self-management, and quality of life of the people we serve.

Virtual PT is still relatively new to the field, but like you mentioned, it has most certainly boomed since the dawn of COVID-19. It's allowed us to stay connected to our patients by helping them in ways that they didn't think we could. I've done some virtual myself and have seen great outcomes. Many others have experienced the same. As a result of this, tons of clinics have moved to a hybrid model of offering both virtual and in-person care to their patients.

So to answer your questions: Is it authentic? Yes. Can it produce desirable results in our patients? Yes. Is it Ethical? Yes, as long as it's done on a HIPPA compliant medium (e.g., Jane App). 

Virtual is a great asset, no doubt. It's also helpful to think about it this way: Since being a physio student, how many of your friends and family members have texted you asking for advice on how to "fix" some type of ache or pain they're experiencing? I'm going make the assumption that it's happened to you quite a few times. The important thing to gain from these messages is understanding that if they didn't see the value in asking you for advice remotely, they most likely wouldn't have done it. But clearly they do see the value and your expertise matters to them. Just something to think about.

To learn more, I'd recommend listening to some of the following pods:

- Skip to 3:00: https://synergysportsmedicine.com/is-working-from-home-a-pain-in-the-neck/
- Skip to 13:53: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/physio-network-virtual-rehab-coffee-time-espressocast/id1336306312?i=1000471061241

Hope that helps!

Hi Miketom,

No doubt that virtual PT has been accelerated by the COVID situation. The staff at Cornerstone Physiotherapy used it to provide ongoing care to everyone when we were forced to shut down mid March. Many patients have chosen to continue with the service even after clinics have opened up. We put together a small resource for patients who might be considering the service - it will give you an idea of what it is like to treat people virtually. Check it out. Virtual has it's obvious limitations but it definitely is a growing area in the profession.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 5:06 PM, PeaTea30 said:

Exercise, activity modification, education, and reassurance are some of our most powerful and impactful skills/tools that we have as physiotherapists. What makes these even more powerful is that they can all be done remotely and do not require the use of our hands. Yes, we are in a hands-on profession - there's no way around that - but our hands are most certainly not the be-all and end-all of what we have to offer to our patients. In fact, the evidence base actually supports the use of the aforementioned skills I mentioned as the most effective interventions physiotherapists can provide to improve function, self-management, and quality of life of the people we serve.

Virtual PT is still relatively new to the field, but like you mentioned, it has most certainly boomed since the dawn of COVID-19. It's allowed us to stay connected to our patients by helping them in ways that they didn't think we could. I've done some virtual myself and have seen great outcomes. Many others have experienced the same. As a result of this, tons of clinics have moved to a hybrid model of offering both virtual and in-person care to their patients.

So to answer your questions: Is it authentic? Yes. Can it produce desirable results in our patients? Yes. Is it Ethical? Yes, as long as it's done on a HIPPA compliant medium (e.g., Jane App). 

Virtual is a great asset, no doubt. It's also helpful to think about it this way: Since being a physio student, how many of your friends and family members have texted you asking for advice on how to "fix" some type of ache or pain they're experiencing? I'm going make the assumption that it's happened to you quite a few times. The important thing to gain from these messages is understanding that if they didn't see the value in asking you for advice remotely, they most likely wouldn't have done it. But clearly they do see the value and your expertise matters to them. Just something to think about.

To learn more, I'd recommend listening to some of the following pods:

- Skip to 3:00: https://synergysportsmedicine.com/is-working-from-home-a-pain-in-the-neck/
- Skip to 13:53: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/physio-network-virtual-rehab-coffee-time-espressocast/id1336306312?i=1000471061241

Hope that helps!

This dude knows what he's talking about. There is a ton of golden information here for anyone wondering about virtual PT. 

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to revisit this topic. The Canadian Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) has now shifted to a virtual format. This is the exam that all PT grads have to pass in order to obtain their full license to practice independently. Historically, this exam has been conducted through an in-person format, so all of this is unfamiliar territory. As we discussed above, virtual PT is still relatively new, but COVID just keeps pushing the envelope with regards to virtual care.

For anyone interested in seeing what virtual PT looks like, as well as how candidates may be tested on the new-look PCE, check out the video below.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Interesting topic. I think the virtual psychotherapy sector has significantly grown because of COVID. Before COVID, I attended my favorite Physiotherapy Clinic in Dubai. But now, I can’t do that anymore, which makes me choose a psychotherapist who can diagnose me online. I don’t know how reliable these psychography sessions are, but I have no other choice now. Hope that the COVID situation will improve, and I will be allowed to visit my doctor soon. I feel that my symptoms are worsening without proper treatment. Online doctor is good, but it seems that the possibilities of online medicine are restricted.