Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

1 hour ago, yaboijay said:

Hey guys, 

Does anyone know how to check application statuses for queens, western and U of T? I have not received any confirmation or link to check the status but I did for McMaster is that normal?

I only received an email from McMaster as well! maybe other universities don't provide you with a login because I'm sure they would have by now!

17 minutes ago, Ptpt2021 said:

I only received an email from McMaster as well! maybe other universities don't provide you with a login because I'm sure they would have by now!

I applied to all but UofT and got emails from all but Queen's. Ottawa, Westen and mac all emailed me

Hi! 

I received a firm acceptance from a school in Ireland for PT. However they need a 3k non refundable deposit by Feb 25/2021 to secure the spot or my application Is discarded. Is this normal? I haven’t even had any interviews for other schools I’ve applied to in the UK and Ontario. My first one for another school in Ireland is tomorrow. 

i find it a bit unfair to be pushed to make a decision that quickly, especially when I don’t have another option right now.. I don’t want it to be the only school that accepts me and I waited for other schools that only ended up rejecting me? 

this is my 2nd year applying and I don’t know what to do. I’ve emailed my advisor at Atlantic Bridge and the school and they said there’s no possibility to extend the deadline. 

I wanted to always do school overseas but with covid and the teaching style of half online half in person, I’m not going more in debt for that. I’d rather do school locally if I get accepted. But I won’t know until at least May. 

advice? Thanks :) 

3 hours ago, PTqt said:

Hi! 

I received a firm acceptance from a school in Ireland for PT. However they need a 3k non refundable deposit by Feb 25/2021 to secure the spot or my application Is discarded. Is this normal? I haven’t even had any interviews for other schools I’ve applied to in the UK and Ontario. My first one for another school in Ireland is tomorrow. 

i find it a bit unfair to be pushed to make a decision that quickly, especially when I don’t have another option right now.. I don’t want it to be the only school that accepts me and I waited for other schools that only ended up rejecting me? 

this is my 2nd year applying and I don’t know what to do. I’ve emailed my advisor at Atlantic Bridge and the school and they said there’s no possibility to extend the deadline. 

I wanted to always do school overseas but with covid and the teaching style of half online half in person, I’m not going more in debt for that. I’d rather do school locally if I get accepted. But I won’t know until at least May. 

advice? Thanks :) 

If you really want to get into PT - I would recommend accepting! at the end of the day, yes its a 3K debt but at least this way you are guaranteed a spot incase you do not get into any in Canada. 3K is nothing to a PT salary at the end of the day!

Applied (all OT): UofT, McMaster, Western, U of A, UBC (BC Resident)

Accepted: UBC 

Waitlisted: U of A, U of T

Rejected: McMaster (prior to interview), Western

cPGA: 3.04, sGPA: 3.75

Perceived strength of essays/interview/references:

• Worked as a Rehabilitation Assistant under multiple OT's
  • Feel confident in my essay's and my ability to communicate my passion 
  • I work in a research lab currently being exposed to various OT studies
  • I have taken 2+ classes with both my references and feel confident in that
  • Point of concern is my sGPA is lower then anticipated for Ontario so I am a bit concerned about that

Hi everyone! 

I am an OT hopeful, but I starting to doubt myself after going through last years thread and seeing everyones stats. Just wanted to post mine to see how many ppl are in a similar boat as me! 

Applied (All OT): Mac, Western, Queens, and Toronto.

Accepted:

Waitlist:

Rejected:

My sub gpa is 3.71. 

My strengths and background include: A placement with the heart & stroke foundation where I helped run a set of events for retirement centres in my uni town, to help increase physical activity among older adults and promote the importance of heart health. 

President of a student run club, where i worked directly with Habitat for Humanity and organized a student build trip in El Salvador to help build a home for a family in need. I was a member of this club for two years, however in my first year i was just a general team member and travelled to Guatemala to build a home for another family. 

And lastly I am Covid-19 volunteer at my local food bank since June 2020. 

Good luck to everyone!!

13 minutes ago, OTwannabe2021 said:

Hi everyone! 

I am an OT hopeful, but I starting to doubt myself after going through last years thread and seeing everyones stats. Just wanted to post mine to see how many ppl are in a similar boat as me! 

Applied (All OT): Mac, Western, Queens, and Toronto.

Accepted:

Waitlist:

Rejected:

My sub gpa is 3.71. 

My strengths and background include: A placement with the heart & stroke foundation where I helped run a set of events for retirement centres in my uni town, to help increase physical activity among older adults and promote the importance of heart health. 

President of a student run club, where i worked directly with Habitat for Humanity and organized a student build trip in El Salvador to help build a home for a family in need. I was a member of this club for two years, however in my first year i was just a general team member and travelled to Guatemala to build a home for another family. 

And lastly I am Covid-19 volunteer at my local food bank since June 2020. 

Good luck to everyone!!

I have the same sGPA! I applied to all the same schools too plus U of M, Dal, U of A and UBC. Literally every school almost haha. I'm so tempted to go through last years thread but now I'm kinda scared to lol. Best of luck to you!!! 

5 minutes ago, OTHopeful2021 said:

I have the same sGPA! I applied to all the same schools too plus U of M, Dal, U of A and UBC. Literally every school almost haha. I'm so tempted to go through last years thread but now I'm kinda scared to lol. Best of luck to you!!! 

Omg awesome!! Glad theres others out there with similar sGPA! Good luck with everything, i hope it works out for you!

Definitely dont look through it lol, its very hard not to compare yourself to everyone else! Plus not everyone posts on these threads anyways so the stats you see on there wouldnt reflect the whole applicant pool, thats what ive been telling myself anyways ahah. Plus its a new round of applications so applicant pool will be different hopefully:)

Agreeing with everyone else here! I ended up getting waitlisted for toronto and alberta with a sGPA of 3.64 last year, so yes I likely wasn't ranked high on the waitlist but goes to show that there are various factors universities considered. After finishing up my degree, with my last term grades now counting, it has gone up a bit. So hopefully  competitive enough for this years application cycle. 

Hi everyone!!

I want to jump on the train with this thread! Reading back to some of last year's stats also got me panicking. 

Applied: All OT: U of A, Mac, Western, Dalhousie 

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cGPA: 2.91... yes I know it's terrible (:(

SubGPA: 3.9

My strengths and background: I volunteered at a rehabilitation gym for the past 3 years as a rehabilitation assistant. I volunteered for a brain injury society a-little at the meantime.  I also volunteered at  a few  multidisciplinary clinics. I was a student association board member and then president for one year each. I peer-tutored for 4 semesters but that's not entirely relevant. I have minimal research experience. This is my only semester as a research assistant (I'm in my last semester of my undergrad!). 

I really could not guess how my casper went... 

Good luck everyone! 

3 hours ago, NightangelOT said:

If you really want to get into PT - I would recommend accepting! at the end of the day, yes its a 3K debt but at least this way you are guaranteed a spot incase you do not get into any in Canada. 3K is nothing to a PT salary at the end of the day!

I disagree. That is a lot of money to pay for a deposit if you're not even sure you want to go. Is that your first choice school outside of Canada? You said you also applied to the UK... if you got accepted in Ireland, you'll likely also receive an acceptance for at least some of those schools. Similarly, since you said you'd prefer to go to school locally, do you at least stand a decent chance here? I wouldn't just throw away $3000 just to guarantee myself a spot somewhere. In order to spend that kind of money, it would have to be something that I was certain of wanting to do, which it doesn't really sound like it is to you. However, if you happen to have $3000 lying around and don't mind wasting it if you end up declining the acceptance later, then definitely go for it.

Hi!

AB resident applied to:

UBC OT -rejected

PT McMaster - Accepted PT 

OT/PT Western - accepted OT 

OT / PT  UofA - accepted into OT 

Volunteer experience: KGH Foundation for a summer, a semester for Brain in Motion II study helping older adults follow an exercise regimen, and over 200 hours working in physical literacy programs for kids with special needs.

Work Experience: OT practicum and PT practicum 80 hours each. OT - school age practicum for kids with disabilities and PT practicum in a multidisciplinary clinic with different populations. Currently working as an EA for a child with special needs, which allows me to work closely with SP's, OT's, and PT's on a weekly basis.

Personal statements: felt strong about essays, touching on personal experience related to my grandmother who has Parkinson's disease, volunteer, work experience. etc.

Strong reference letters!

Felt strong about CASper but, who knows lol

ORPAS Sub-GPA: 3.81 - ORPAS Cum-GPA: 3.52 --- sub-gpa was lower than expected since they averaged my 2018-2019 year where my 20th class fell into :(

Wishing everyone good luck! Nervous about not having enough experience/GPA but staying hopeful!

hey everyone! Maybe I am misunderstanding how the sub GPA was suppose to be calculated but I think mine may have been calculated incorrectly. I'm in my fourth year, and it looks like my entire second year was incorporated in the sub calculation. Would this be right? Should I email just to make sure? aaah thanks for your input !

16 minutes ago, 123476Claire said:

hey everyone! Maybe I am misunderstanding how the sub GPA was suppose to be calculated but I think mine may have been calculated incorrectly. I'm in my fourth year, and it looks like my entire second year was incorporated in the sub calculation. Would this be right? Should I email just to make sure? aaah thanks for your input !

Was your second year categorized as **Average**. Because in order to achieve the 20 credits, they must average the remaining credits. So if you have 5.0 courses 4th year fall + 10.0 courses 3rd year fall/winter, your GPA average of your entire second year will be the remaining 5.0 credits = 20