Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Ptpt2021 said:

Was your second year categorized as **Average**. Because in order to achieve the 20 credits, they must average the remaining credits. So if you have 5.0 courses 4th year fall + 10.0 courses 3rd year fall/winter, your GPA average of your entire second year will be the remaining 5.0 credits = 20

yes! okay, that makes sense. I think I just misunderstood the GPA wording on the website. I thought half of my second year would count. Thanks for your help :) just wanted to know if I should email or not 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

I also want to echo what some people have said above. I applied FOUR TIMES and finally just got accepted. I've spent the last three years taking courses to upgrade my GPA and doing everything I could

Posted Images

Hi everyone! 

Does anyone know if each school calculates the applicants sGPA individually, or do they just take it from ORPAS? I am just wondering because 4 of my credits are from practicum courses and ORPAS did not include these courses in their calculations. However, I know McMaster does include practicum courses so I wasn't sure if they would automatically recalculate my sGPA or I would have to inform them? Also, does anyone know if any other schools include practicum courses (I also applied to UOT and Queens)? 

Thanks for your help guys :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied: (PT) Mac, Western, Queens, Ottawa and Dal

cGPA: 3.75, sGPA: 3.86 (4.02/4.3)

I have 60 hours volunteering as a PT assistant, 400 hours working as an EA with children with special needs, currently doing an undergraduate thesis, was a recipient of an Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA) through NSERC last summer, member of the varsity soccer program at my school for 4 years, a few extracurriculars through the school.

I'm not sure about my chances because my CASPer worries me, I thought I did really well on the written prompts but not as much on the video based ones, I blanked on one or two but picked it up later. Not sure how much each school actually weighs the CASPer for their admissions. 

Also does anyone know how competitive a 4.02/4.3 is for Dal OOP? I know they aren't doing an interview this year, so I wonder if my GPA is high enough to be considered for someone who is out of province.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied (all PT): Western, U of T, McMaster

GPA:c-gpa 3.60 and s-gpa 3.87

300+ hours working with a physiotherapist as both an observant and clinic assistant. Various extra-curricular such as student council, charity organization, etc.

I am slightly worried about my recommendation letters simply because my time with them was cut short due to Covid :/

Wishing everybody good luck at getting into their top choice!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Allyson said:

Hi!

Applied to: (UBC OT) (OT/PT MCMASTER) (OT/PT WESTERN) (OT QUEENS) (OT/PT UOFA)

Volunteer experience: KGH Foundation for a summer (working as a bistro attendant), a semester for Brain in Motion II study helping older adults follow an exercise regimen, and over 200 hours working in physical literacy programs for kids with disabilities.

Work Experience: OT practicum and PT practicum 75 hours each. OT - school age practicum for kids with disabilities and PT practicum in a multidisciplinary clinic with different populations. 

Personal statements: felt strong about essays, touching on personal experience related to my grandmother who has Parkinson's disease, volunteer, work experience. etc.

ORPAS Sub-GPA: 3.81 - ORPAS Cum-GPA: 3.52

Wishing everyone good luck! Nervous about not having enough experience but staying hopeful! Feel free to message me !! 

Hey! where did you locate the two different ORPAS GPA numbers? On my ORPAS I see one number that says "overall GPA" and another that is at the very bottom of my sub-GPA calculation chart, so is one of these the s-gpa and one the c-gpa?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, heathermarley said:

Hey! where did you locate the two different ORPAS GPA numbers? On my ORPAS I see one number that says "overall GPA" and another that is at the very bottom of my sub-GPA calculation chart, so is one of these the s-gpa and one the c-gpa?

The "overall GPA" is the c-GPA (cumulative), and the "sub-GPA" is the s-GPA...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied (all PT): Western, Mac, UofT

Accepted: Western

Rejected: Mac (after interview), UofT (after CAP)

c-GPA: 3.11, s-GPA: 3.94 

60 hours as a PT assistant, 40 hours leading group exercise for diabetic individuals, summer research internship and undergrad thesis with publications, 100 hours facilitating educational workshops in human anatomy and assisting undergrad dissection labs, leadership positions in three student organizations

Feel good overall, but I'm a little worried about my CASPer as I left quite a few blank/one line answers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied (PT): Western, Mac, UofT, Queens | PT/PhD: Mac, Western

s-GPA (Queens + Western): 3.85, s-GPA (Mac + UofT): 3.90

 

70 hours volunteering in outpatient PT clinic, summer research student at Mount Sinai Hospital, 4 years of mentorship experience, finishing up my MSc. working in cardiac rehabilitation!

 

I think I did "OK" on CASPer, won't really know since it doesn't get released. Hoping to get into the dual programs as my first choice! Best of luck everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Noël said:

I disagree. That is a lot of money to pay for a deposit if you're not even sure you want to go. Is that your first choice school outside of Canada? You said you also applied to the UK... if you got accepted in Ireland, you'll likely also receive an acceptance for at least some of those schools. Similarly, since you said you'd prefer to go to school locally, do you at least stand a decent chance here? I wouldn't just throw away $3000 just to guarantee myself a spot somewhere. In order to spend that kind of money, it would have to be something that I was certain of wanting to do, which it doesn't really sound like it is to you. However, if you happen to have $3000 lying around and don't mind wasting it if you end up declining the acceptance later, then definitely go for it.

My issue is the deadline to decide by the end of Feb. If I had a deadline more in March, I would at least have some decisions from other schools and not feel as pressured. 

I think I may have a chance. I applied to UofT, Western, Queen's and Mac for PT. My c-GPA is ~3.44 (I think) and ORPAS calculated my sub-GPA at 3.68 :(. I have strong references from a Biomech prof I had classes with and the owner of a private clinic.

I have been working for a year as a R.Kin, lots of neuro, paediatrics, cardiorespiratory, and MSK. Primarily exercise therapy, manual therapy, modality work. WSIB, MVAs, LTDs. Seniors, kids, working age, etc. I have hospital PT experience as well as many volunteer hours with hippotherapy and working with individuals with disabilities. 

I hope I do have a chance at schools in Ontario but their system in accepting PT is whack... 

I favour UK/Ireland schools because they understand that not all schools are equal/fair in course delivery, and they tend to focus more on what you know about the profession, your mannerism, understanding of their health care system, etc. Just from my experience so far! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, just wanted to make sure I understand the ORPAS sGPA calculations. They listed my most recent 18 courses (all with length as 1.00). Then at the bottom they listed **Average** with length as 2.00. I read the ORPAS page about calculations but I'm still kinda confused lol. Does this mean they just took the average of one of my semesters and counted it as 2 courses to reach the total of 20 courses for sGPA? I figured out where they stopped using individual courses for my sGPA on my transcript and in that semester I took 3 classes with a total of 9 credits. I'm guessing they took the term average from those 3 courses and that's what the **Average** indicates? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OTHopeful2021 said:

Hey guys, just wanted to make sure I understand the ORPAS sGPA calculations. They listed my most recent 18 courses (all with length as 1.00). Then at the bottom they listed **Average** with length as 2.00. I read the ORPAS page about calculations but I'm still kinda confused lol. Does this mean they just took the average of one of my semesters and counted it as 2 courses to reach the total of 20 courses for sGPA? I figured out where they stopped using individual courses for my sGPA on my transcript and in that semester I took 3 classes with a total of 9 credits. I'm guessing they took the term average from those 3 courses and that's what the **Average** indicates? 

They compiled that whole year average by inputting each individual grade, and then filled in your two extra spots with that average GPA of that year to make it 20

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 11:42 AM, PTqt said:

Hi! 
 

I received a firm acceptance from a school in Ireland for PT. However they need a 3k non refundable deposit by Feb 25/2021 to secure the spot or my application Is discarded. Is this normal? I haven’t even had any interviews for other schools I’ve applied to in the UK and Ontario. My first one for another school in Ireland is tomorrow. 
 
i find it a bit unfair to be pushed to make a decision that quickly, especially when I don’t have another option right now.. I don’t want it to be the only school that accepts me and I waited for other schools that only ended up rejecting me? 
 

this is my 2nd year applying and I don’t know what to do. I’ve emailed my advisor at Atlantic Bridge and the school and they said there’s no possibility to extend the deadline. 
 

I wanted to always do school overseas but with covid and the teaching style of half online half in person, I’m not going more in debt for that. I’d rather do school locally if I get accepted. But I won’t know until at least May. 
 

 

advice? Thanks :) 

Hi! I have applied to a few schools in Ireland and I was wondering if you were comfortable sharing which school/program you were accepted into, as well as your stats? Have you received any invitations for interviews?

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied (OT): Queen's, University of Toronto and Dalhousie (OOP)

cGPA: 3.90 
sGPA: 3.97 
(These are my averages are on a 4.0 scale so not applicable to my Dal application) 

50 volunteer hours at an OT clinic working directly with clients, 20 volunteer hours making resources at a pediatric SLP clinic, 40 volunteer hours through school club at a children's hospital, completed my Honours thesis on the use of music to alleviate isolation and loneliness in Ontario LTC homes (manuscript about to be submitted), work experience as a research assistant for the Room 217 Foundation, work experience as an assistant teacher for kids in summer school, work experience as a tutor (especially for high school kids struggling with octomester format and quicker pacing), experience planning and leading intergenerational programming for an elementary school and LTC home through one of my third year courses

Good luck to everyone! It has been wonderful to check out this thread and ask questions through the application process! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So they only average a whole year if they have to go back to that year to extract courses to make up your last 20, right?  Is there any other circumstance in which they would average?  I heard that if you’re not taking a 100% course load they will average but someone on redd it told me this isn’t true 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I am applying to OT in Ontario and I was confused as to how they calculated my subGPA. My last 5 courses would have ended at winter of 2019. However, they averaged my entire winter 2019 and fall 2018 (third year) to make up the remaining 5 courses. Is this right? I thought they would only average the entire year if my 20th course ended up being in the middle of a semester? 

I was expecting my GPA to be around 3.78, but with the way they calculated it I have a 3.65 subgpa right now. Do you think I have any chance at getting accepted to UBC, McMaster, Western, or Queens for OT? Im not sure how the casper test went, but my references should be strong, and I have over 200 hours of experience. This is my second year applying so I'm nervous !

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OT OT OT said:

So I am applying to OT in Ontario and I was confused as to how they calculated my subGPA. My last 5 courses would have ended at winter of 2019. However, they averaged my entire winter 2019 and fall 2018 (third year) to make up the remaining 5 courses. Is this right? I thought they would only average the entire year if my 20th course ended up being in the middle of a semester? 

I was expecting my GPA to be around 3.78, but with the way they calculated it I have a 3.65 subgpa right now. Do you think I have any chance at getting accepted to UBC, McMaster, Western, or Queens for OT? Im not sure how the casper test went, but my references should be strong, and I have over 200 hours of experience. This is my second year applying so I'm nervous !

From my understanding, they average your whole year if your 20th credit fall in between any term of an academic year (both fall and winter term). I emailed them to confirm that because I am in my fourth year of undergrad and I had 16 credits completed since my third year, so they averaged my whole second year, fall 2018 and winter 2019 to make up for my remaining 4 credits from this term. :( it sucks because it also dropped my sGPA quite a bit!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied: Western, Uottawa, Queens, McMaster, UofT (all PT)

Sub GPA: 3.60. Again not high and it's stressing me out, one dang low mark in a class I worked by butt off in brought it down 

cGPA: 3.53... I also see a 2.94 (not happy with that) because I first attempted an undergrad in 2014 and was not ready for university at the time. I think they are including that in the 2.94.Went to college and got a diploma (did really well, 3.9 GPA) and went back to uni in a different field. If you just take my most recent undergraduate degree it's 3.53. Can anyone clarify which one they will look at?

I have a lot of volunteer experience (~100hours in PT field and thousands of hours outside of field) and felt pretty good about my CASPer test. I'm worried about my language test for Ottawa, I lack confidence when I speak french and unfortunately stumbled on my words.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, PTqt said:

My issue is the deadline to decide by the end of Feb. If I had a deadline more in March, I would at least have some decisions from other schools and not feel as pressured. 

I think I may have a chance. I applied to UofT, Western, Queen's and Mac for PT. My c-GPA is ~3.44 (I think) and ORPAS calculated my sub-GPA at 3.68 :(. I have strong references from a Biomech prof I had classes with and the owner of a private clinic.

I have been working for a year as a R.Kin, lots of neuro, paediatrics, cardiorespiratory, and MSK. Primarily exercise therapy, manual therapy, modality work. WSIB, MVAs, LTDs. Seniors, kids, working age, etc. I have hospital PT experience as well as many volunteer hours with hippotherapy and working with individuals with disabilities. 

I hope I do have a chance at schools in Ontario but their system in accepting PT is whack... 

I favour UK/Ireland schools because they understand that not all schools are equal/fair in course delivery, and they tend to focus more on what you know about the profession, your mannerism, understanding of their health care system, etc. Just from my experience so far! 

As an alternative, you can defer your offer for a year. That way you do not have to pay the deposit until the next year. In the meantime you can see how far you will get with your school applications here, in Canada, interviews, hopefully acceptance letters to choose from. In case, you do not, you know that you have an offer oversees. The only thing you will have to wait for another year to start the program.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 3:23 PM, PTeeApplicant said:

Applied (PT): Western, Mac, UofT, Queens | PT/PhD: Mac, Western

s-GPA (Queens + Western): 3.85, s-GPA (Mac + UofT): 3.90

 

70 hours volunteering in outpatient PT clinic, summer research student at Mount Sinai Hospital, 4 years of mentorship experience, finishing up my MSc. working in cardiac rehabilitation!

 

I think I did "OK" on CASPer, won't really know since it doesn't get released. Hoping to get into the dual programs as my first choice! Best of luck everyone!

Hey! Did you calculate your Mac GPA or did they give it to you? 

 

Best of luck with the admission process!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 11:08 AM, PTee said:

Applied (PT): Western, Mac, UofT

GPA: c-GPA: 3.11, s-GPA: 3.94 

60 hours as a PT assistant, 40 hours leading/supervising exercise for diabetic individuals, paid summer research internship and undergrad thesis with a published manuscript and two conference abstracts, 100+ hours of facilitating educational workshops in human anatomy and assisting with undergrad dissection labs, leadership positions in three student organizations

I'm not too happy with my performance on the CASPer. Left quite a few blank/one line answers 

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving some questions blank, that's super normal and they expect it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elaiina21 said:

Hey! Did you calculate your Mac GPA or did they give it to you? 

 

Best of luck with the admission process!

Hey! So mac and u of t include graduate grades so I manually calculated. I did email to ask them if they could verify what gpa they've calculated so I'm waiting on a response.

Thanks, you as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PTeeApplicant said:

Hey! So mac and u of t include graduate grades so I manually calculated. I did email to ask them if they could verify what gpa they've calculated so I'm waiting on a response.

Thanks, you as well!

Oh okay thanks!

 

I applied to OT at UoT and they I'm pretty sure they don't take grad school grades. I'm guessing its different for PT?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...