Premed 101 Forums

3 minutes ago, elaiina21 said:

Oh okay thanks!

I applied to OT at UoT and they I'm pretty sure they don't take grad school grades. I'm guessing its different for PT?

Yeah! U of T for pt actually emailed me today letting me know who was responsible for manually updating my orpas gpa if I had graduate course. I believe only u of t pt and mac pt are the only programs that use graduate grades!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all, Please remember to be professional and courteous.  The application process is an emotional one, but that doesn’t justify unpleasant or hostile posts.    Thanks! Ian

I just randomly checked on my application status and I somehow got accepted?!??? Dal applicants go check it now!!!

I just got accepted into UBC OT!!!

Posted Images

Just now, PTeeApplicant said:

Yeah! U of T for pt actually emailed me today letting me know who was responsible for manually updating my orpas gpa if I had graduate course. I believe only u of t pt and mac pt are the only programs that use graduate grades!

Okay thanks! Do you know if Mac also holds you responsible for manually updating the orpas GPA as well for graduate courses?

31 minutes ago, OTHopeful2021 said:

I'm still waiting! I heard they're supposed to send us an email to confirm everything but so far nothing for me. On the application site though it does show that all my documents and stuff were submitted.

ok thank god I wasn't the only one didn't receive the email from them. I made sure I submitted the supplementary paper and other stuff, but I was worried cuz there's no response from them XD

I guess it's a waiting game now, ugh.

Anyone have insight into the placement options at Western and Mac? I see for both there is the option for "out of catchment" placements, but how common is it for students to do this and how easy is it to do? I have family that live in Ottawa as well as BC and Alberta, and it would be cool to stay with some of them while completing a placement in one of these areas, but I'm not sure how the process for this would work (or if it would even be allowed).

Thanks!

1 hour ago, heathermarley said:

Anyone have insight into the placement options at Western and Mac? I see for both there is the option for "out of catchment" placements, but how common is it for students to do this and how easy is it to do? I have family that live in Ottawa as well as BC and Alberta, and it would be cool to stay with some of them while completing a placement in one of these areas, but I'm not sure how the process for this would work (or if it would even be allowed).

Thanks!

Current 2nd year MPT at Western. Out of catchment placements are not that common, some are easier to make happen than others. Toronto is not easy to make happen, as they only offer so many placements/year to students outside their catchment area and if you apply to want to do Toronto, it's a lottery draw as to whether you'll be able to do that or not. If there's only 9 spots available for your class and there's 14 of you that want Toronto at some point, 5 people are going to get their heart broken. Kind of sucks, but U of T students obviously need to be taken care of first as it is their catchment area. They only allow you to do out of catchment in one of your last 2 placements so you can't do it for multiple placements, but they've had students go to all those places you listed. Currently with the pandemic, no one is allowed to leave Ontario for placements, so I'm not sure what that will look like moving forward though. The thing with Western, because the catchment area is so large and there's usually so few placements available in London, you are required to do 2 placements outside of London (OOL). The trick here is if you go to Ottawa, this counts as an "in London" placement, not outside of London as you would logically think. An OOL placement is any town/city that isn't London, but is within London's catchment area. The minute you go past Kitchener for placement, or leave the province, although you are "OOL" you're completing an "in-London" placement. Lots of students ask about going to Toronto for placement, as a bulk are from that surrounding area and this is something they have to consider when meeting Western's requirements. If/when you get into Western, your clinical placement advisor will be able to give you a better answer as to the process of how that actually occurs. If you happened to work somewhere in Ottawa as a PTA/OTA or something to that effect and you've spoken to the owner and they've said they would love to take a student on, you could make her job easier by letting her know this clinic is interested in taking a student on (you) and she then can reach out to them to make the appropriate professional arrangements, but you can't set your own placement up. Has to be done through her, but she's always open to ideas being brought forward like that. Hope this helps!

On 2/4/2021 at 7:41 PM, OT0202 said:

Agreeing with everyone else here! I ended up getting waitlisted for toronto and alberta with a sGPA of 3.64 last year, so yes I likely wasn't ranked high on the waitlist but goes to show that there are various factors universities considered. After finishing up my degree, with my last term grades now counting, it has gone up a bit. So hopefully  competitive enough for this years application cycle. 

Hey! What is your experience like? What’s your GPA this year?

if you don’t mind sharing of course:)

Just wondering if any current OT students could explain how online classes are going? How many times have you actually had to be on campus/in person (not including placements)?? If any Mac, Queens, Western, or Toronto students could reply that would be awesome!

Just curious incase next year is online too

17 hours ago, TBPT13 said:

Current 2nd year MPT at Western. Out of catchment placements are not that common, some are easier to make happen than others. Toronto is not easy to make happen, as they only offer so many placements/year to students outside their catchment area and if you apply to want to do Toronto, it's a lottery draw as to whether you'll be able to do that or not. If there's only 9 spots available for your class and there's 14 of you that want Toronto at some point, 5 people are going to get their heart broken. Kind of sucks, but U of T students obviously need to be taken care of first as it is their catchment area. They only allow you to do out of catchment in one of your last 2 placements so you can't do it for multiple placements, but they've had students go to all those places you listed. Currently with the pandemic, no one is allowed to leave Ontario for placements, so I'm not sure what that will look like moving forward though. The thing with Western, because the catchment area is so large and there's usually so few placements available in London, you are required to do 2 placements outside of London (OOL). The trick here is if you go to Ottawa, this counts as an "in London" placement, not outside of London as you would logically think. An OOL placement is any town/city that isn't London, but is within London's catchment area. The minute you go past Kitchener for placement, or leave the province, although you are "OOL" you're completing an "in-London" placement. Lots of students ask about going to Toronto for placement, as a bulk are from that surrounding area and this is something they have to consider when meeting Western's requirements. If/when you get into Western, your clinical placement advisor will be able to give you a better answer as to the process of how that actually occurs. If you happened to work somewhere in Ottawa as a PTA/OTA or something to that effect and you've spoken to the owner and they've said they would love to take a student on, you could make her job easier by letting her know this clinic is interested in taking a student on (you) and she then can reach out to them to make the appropriate professional arrangements, but you can't set your own placement up. Has to be done through her, but she's always open to ideas being brought forward like that. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much this was very helpful!! It really clears up how the placement system works there. I have one follow-up question actually: I was looking again at Westerns catchment area and noticed one of the options is Orillia. I'm actually originally from this area (about a half hour drive) and it would be possible for me to live with my parents and commute to a placement in Orillia. I'm assuming this is probably not a common first choice for people to have as their placement, so do you think I'd have a good shot at getting placed here if I listed it as my first choice? Also are you allowed to have the same placement location for multiple placements (assuming it's an unpopular location such as this) ?

Does anyone have any idea how UofAlberta converts Ontario percentile grades to their letter grade system? I was referring to the ORPAS conversion table to find the letter grade and then finding what that letter on the table equates to at UofA but unsure if that is correct. If any one knows, that'd be great!

On 2/5/2021 at 11:20 AM, HOPEFUL7 said:

Hi everyone! 

Does anyone know if each school calculates the applicants sGPA individually, or do they just take it from ORPAS? I am just wondering because 4 of my credits are from practicum courses and ORPAS did not include these courses in their calculations. However, I know McMaster does include practicum courses so I wasn't sure if they would automatically recalculate my sGPA or I would have to inform them? Also, does anyone know if any other schools include practicum courses (I also applied to UOT and Queens)? 

Thanks for your help guys :)

I think all Ontario schools use the ORPAS GPA (but you can double-check on each school's website!) ORPAS' website says they count academic practicums but not placements or internships, so I guess it depends how exactly each of those are defined? :unsure: Personally I had an "internship" so it didn't count but idk what the difference between and internship and practicum is hahaha

On 2/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, OTwannabe2021 said:

Just wondering if any current OT students could explain how online classes are going? How many times have you actually had to be on campus/in person (not including placements)?? If any Mac, Queens, Western, or Toronto students could reply that would be awesome!

Just curious incase next year is online too

Hey! I’m a first yr OT at Queen’s! In the fall, Queen’s had a hybrid model where some classes were online & some were in person (approx 2 lectures, one tutorial, & one lab in person per week, give or take). Online classes are pretty much the same experience for anyone else in school rn - can feel long & test your patience & attention span. But I don’t think my learning potential suffered overall, I still absorbed the content & completed assignments fine. It really helped that Queen’s has a 5person groupwork model, so they become your bubble for all group work plus you’re allowed to hang out within covid rules haha. The only drawback was that the labs were only an hour, when in non-COVID times they’re 2hours. So my classmates & I really felt limited in practicing clinical skills for that class. Queen’s has also told us that next semester (march-june) will be completely online until the middle of April. Placements seem to be running the same, some are completely online (like myself) & some are in person. Though I’ve heard through my preceptor that Queen’s is potentially planning more online-based placements for later this year. Feel free to dm me if you have other questions about Queen’s!

41 minutes ago, JChen48 said:

Does anyone know how U of A will calculate the sGPA this year since they aren't counting Winter 2020 grades. Are they using fewer credits to count the sGPA or will they look back further (more second year grades)  to get enough 60 credits? 

They go back further to get 60 credits. 

16 minutes ago, Allyson said:

I emailed them about this a while ago and they told me they wont go back further to fulfill the credits, they will just use less :)

So applicants' sGPA will still be based on their third and fourth year?? I'm in my forth year, so if they don't take my winter 2020 grades, I only have 2 semesters worth of grades for them before May haha