OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

On 2/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, NeedPTinmylife said:

Applied All PT: Western, Mac, Toronto, Ottawa, Queens
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: 3.39 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Strength: -I think Casper went much better than last year. References and experience are very average.

weakness: Low sGPA, ORPAS calculated it differently than what I expected.

got into mac with the exact same GPA as you last year. Good luck! 

Hey guys just wanted to update my stats since ORPAS sent out the calculated GPA

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT: Queens and UofT and Monash University(Australia) OT: Mac
Accepted: Monash University (DPT program in Australia) 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Opras calculated GPA:c-gpa: 3.31 and s-gpa: 3.73
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I volunteered for 100 hours with two physiotherapists and have been volunteering with various other organizations since I was 13. I feel strongly about my references and essays but my gpa was calculated lower than expected :( Hopefully it works out

Still cant find any places to take me on as a volunteer.  By now I have been to about 20 clinics in my area.  I am so screwed for the next intake cycle.  Can anyone here help me please?  If you know a physio in the GTA area (preferrably Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville) whos willing to take on a volunteer pls let me know.  I understand due to COVID many are unwilling but physio schools have told me I still need to get my hours in regardless.  

On 2/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, OTwannabe2021 said:

Just wondering if any current OT students could explain how online classes are going? How many times have you actually had to be on campus/in person (not including placements)?? If any Mac, Queens, Western, or Toronto students could reply that would be awesome!

Just curious incase next year is online too

Hi there! First year Mac student here! 

From September to November, our classes were completely online. It wasn’t until mid November when we started placement that we had about 3 in person classes to review transfers/mobility since those topics are nearly impossible to teach online. We had placement from November-December which was nice! Some were virtual, some were in person and some were a hybrid of both. For this term, we have an in-person class once a week but the rest of our classes are online. I think Mac also announced that our spring/summer term will also be online. Let me know if you have any questions about Mac!

20 hours ago, OTplz2020 said:

Hi there! First year Mac student here! 

From September to November, our classes were completely online. It wasn’t until mid November when we started placement that we had about 3 in person classes to review transfers/mobility since those topics are nearly impossible to teach online. We had placement from November-December which was nice! Some were virtual, some were in person and some were a hybrid of both. For this term, we have an in-person class once a week but the rest of our classes are online. I think Mac also announced that our spring/summer term will also be online. Let me know if you have any questions about Mac!

Hey! 

I was wondering if you could answer a question for me about Mac courses for OT. I know at UoT classes run basically Monday-Friday all day, is this the same for Mac? Or is the schedule completely different? 

Thanks

hi! just wondering if anyone know if I need to submit another transcript (although i think it may be too late?) if one of my prereqs is being completed this term!

ex. Queen's requires 2 psych courses but if i am taking 1 this term to meet the prereq, will they automatically know i am taking it this term from when I put in my prereqs or would another transcript be needed?

10 hours ago, elaiina21 said:

Hey! 

I was wondering if you could answer a question for me about Mac courses for OT. I know at UoT classes run basically Monday-Friday all day, is this the same for Mac? Or is the schedule completely different? 

Thanks

Classes at Mac don't run all day (they're typically 1.5-2hrs long and you have maybe 1-2 classes a day). However, prep work can definitely take a longer time! One thing I want to mention is that I truly love how Mac starts placement earlier than other schools (we have class for 2 months, 1 month of placement/Christmas break, 2 months for class again, and then 2 months of placement). It's a nice combination and helps us a lot with learning practical skills so early in the program. 

9 hours ago, HarDaPT said:

Hey, I had a quick question about Mac`s Kira talent interview. Did it require both written and verbal responses? And any tips for it?

It required both video and written responses last year. Try googling Kira talent interview questions and there are a lot of samples to be found. 

On 2/17/2021 at 1:39 PM, PhysioApplicant said:

Congratulations everyone! I also got the invite to UBC MPT interview. Does anyone want to make a group and get together online to prep for the interview soon? 

I also received a interview from UBC. I saw there was a group for interview prep, but now one has posted in since December. I would love to do some prep over zoom with who ever is interested! 

1 hour ago, bambii said:

For OT at Mac, the dates and deadlines state that MMI invitations will be sent out on March 1st. I'm not sure if it is the same for PT though. 

https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/srs-ot/education/future-students/admissions

The date I was referring to (Feb 19) is mentioned for PT on their site 

https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/srs-pt/education/future-students/admission

Hello ! I am a 2nd year vet student at UdeM and I did an English video about the CASPer test and the R-SCORE for those who are interested. Feel free to leave your questions in the description bar, I will be so happy to answer them. I left websites where you can find sample CASPer questions to help you out! Good luck and don't give up !  :)