Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

On 2/21/2021 at 10:13 AM, OTGIRLL said:

Hi Everyone! 

For those of you also attending a UBC OT interview, what did you decide to send in as your photo? Was it professionally taken or at home? I have taken mine at home but am struggling to size the image down accordingly (50mm x 70mm), as when I do it becomes pixilated... is this the case for anyone else?

Thanks very much

I just took a selfie on my iPhone an emailed it in, they said it was fine!

Hello everyone, 

I'm fairly new to this whole forum and I have been reading through the posts here and realized my application this year certainly needed improvements if I am to get accepted into PT school (my sGPA more specifically). 

So i was just wondering if there are people here who have gone back to school after graduation to upgrade their courses and if taking 2 or 3 courses can actually have a significant impact on increasing acceptance chances?

I guess im just a little worried of not getting in and I dont really know how common it is to reapply a second or maybe 3rd time for PT programs  since they're so darn competitive. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, PTtbd said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm fairly new to this whole forum and I have been reading through the posts here and realized my application this year certainly needed improvements if I am to get accepted into PT school (my sGPA more specifically). 

So i was just wondering if there are people here who have gone back to school after graduation to upgrade their courses and if taking 2 or 3 courses can actually have a significant impact on increasing acceptance chances?

I guess im just a little worried of not getting in and I dont really know how common it is to reapply a second or maybe 3rd time for PT programs  since they're so darn competitive. 

Thank you!

Hi there, although I can't necessarily answer your question (I'm in 4th year), I want to let you know that you shouldn't let this forum get to you... this forum represents a small subset of individuals and doesn't fully represent all applicants so try not to worry too much! I get it - it can be overwhelming seeing stats, etc. but be proud of where you've gotten (this year has been so hard and we should be proud that we simply survived it, regardless of grades, etc!). YOU GOT THIS! 

On 1/24/2021 at 1:30 AM, OTHopeful2021 said:

Congrats on graduating! If you don't mind, I was wondering what made you choose Queen's over the other schools you were accepted to? And did you enjoy your time there?

I chose Queen's for personal reasons because I previously lived in Kingston and loved it, but I also realized Queen's seemed to be more mental health oriented in the curriculum and that aligned with my interests. When I applied it was going to be the first cohort of the split of OT students across U of T M and U of T with the video conferencing and this did not sound attractive to me at the time so I declined U of T. McGill stated you did not need French when applying however in the MMI sessions I was informed french could be required on placement and I am not bilingual. Yes, definitely enjoyed my time at Queen's, the physical facilities of the OT program could be improved and something they were working towards, but overall the program is great. 

2 hours ago, Veryshawn said:

Congrats on getting the interview. I am wondering has anyone received any follow up information from UBC about the interview links and the assigned date? 

Not yet actually. I'm assuming it will be tomorrow. A little strange as I assumed they would email back by now.

15 minutes ago, gotham13 said:

Not yet actually. I'm assuming it will be tomorrow. A little strange as I assumed they would email back by now.

Thanks for letting me know! I thought it would be around this Monday or Tuesday, but it is a bit strange that we still haven't heard anything back from the admissions. 

16 hours ago, PTtbd said:

Hello everyone, 

Thank you!

Hey,

It is super common for people to re apply, and it does not look bad at all. I was told that they look for improvements in your application so re-doing courses and getting more work experience only strengthens your chances for next time. 

Does anyone know if we are given the questions in the PT Mac Kira Talent ahead of time? I've heard its 1-1.5minute answers so it'd be nice to have an idea of what they will ask. 

Also, if anyone has taken it, have the questions been standard or completely random? Ex: "why are you interested in our program? vs. "tell us what you would put in a time capsule opened in 200 years from now, that represents what the human race did well this year and what they could have improved on"... ?

thanks!

2 hours ago, mulia said:

Hey,

It is super common for people to re apply, and it does not look bad at all. I was told that they look for improvements in your application so re-doing courses and getting more work experience only strengthens your chances for next time. 

I really don’t think they look for improvements per se, but it’s more like they select the strongest candidates and you improve to become one of the strongest candidates (so they ultimately only look at your end point instead of your whole journey).

7 hours ago, PTqt said:

Does anyone know if we are given the questions in the PT Mac Kira Talent ahead of time? I've heard its 1-1.5minute answers so it'd be nice to have an idea of what they will ask. 

Also, if anyone has taken it, have the questions been standard or completely random? Ex: "why are you interested in our program? vs. "tell us what you would put in a time capsule opened in 200 years from now, that represents what the human race did well this year and what they could have improved on"... ?

thanks!

If I remember correctly, the questions I got last year were pretty standard. They don't give them to you beforehand. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens - All OT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa - 3.61 and s-gpa 3.76
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

So far feeling pretty discouraged about getting in this round, I don't meet last years s-GPA interview cut-off for McMaster (3.78) or Queens first round offer c-GPA cutoff from last year so we'll see!

On 1/26/2021 at 10:24 PM, stttta said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm applying to Western for OT. Since there was no requirement for references I didn't add my references. Looking back now I'm a bit concerned if I should have added my references even though it was not a requirement. Does anyone know if Western looks at your references for OT? 

No they don't consider references, do don't worry! They also don't care about what you wrote in your personal submission, in the program presentation zooms they told us they only look at your personal submission once you've already been admitted and they're putting people in mentor groups.

36 minutes ago, OTapplicant2021 said:

No they don't consider references, do don't worry! They also don't care about what you wrote in your personal submission, in the program presentation zooms they told us they only look at your personal submission once you've already been admitted and they're putting people in mentor groups.

Oh really??! So it's just your sGPA and Casper scores??

1 hour ago, OTapplicant2021 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens - All OT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa - 3.61 and s-gpa 3.76
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

So far feeling pretty discouraged about getting in this round, I don't meet last years s-GPA interview cut-off for McMaster (3.78) or Queens first round offer c-GPA cutoff from last year so we'll see!

Hey! What was queens c-GPA cutoff last year?

thanks!