Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

19 hours ago, SJPT21 said:

I haven’t even gotten a student number or “Thanks for your application” email from them or Queens yet

I can’t speak for UofT, but I don’t believe that Queen’s sends out acknowledgement emails. The only time I heard from them last year was on decisions day. As long as ORPAS says things submitted successfully then you’ll be fine!

22 hours ago, physiotd98 said:

Does anyone know what type of questions the mac Kira Talent interview asks? Is it more like a typical interview like what are your strengths/weaknesses, a time you showed leadership, etc. Or is it more like the CASPer, where theres a bunch of ethical questions? 

I took the Kira last year, and it felt like a job interview. I had two questions on conflict resolution, two on teamwork and collaboration, and one on a creative solution to a problem. That's what I can remember. I was honestly surprised by the whole thing because it felt so "disconnected" from a physiotherapy program. I had no questions similar to what I had seen on this forum in years past (e.g. Do you think most people are altruistic?) It is what it is, I'll be more prepared this year.

Copy and paste post from the thread I made (just hoping it'll reach more people):

Hey everyone, 

I am a current 1st year MSc. PT student at Queen's University. If any applicants have any questions, feel free to message me on here about the application process or the program in general. I also have a little PT IG page @bjwpt where I share some of my experiences with the program and PT in general. Feel free to follow along or message me on there as well. I remember looking at these forums so much when I was applying into school so I'd just thought I'd give back to the Premed PT community. 

Hey everyone! Just found this thread :)

Applied: OT at Uoft, McMaster, & Queen's
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cGPA = 3.90, subGPA = 3.96
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-worked for 2 summers as a camp counsellor for people with developmental disabilities, volunteer with my school's student accessibility services, worked as a care attendant at a retirement home, worked as an early childhood assistant at a daycare centre

-shadowed at 2 outpatient hospital OT settings

-currently a volunteer with a private OT clinic doing remote work

-references from my supervisor at the camp and a prof I've done research with in a psychology lab

-was able to look at my resume & essays with some very helpful editors

I'm so excited to start my journey as an OT! Similar to what other people have said, I didn't get a confirmation email from UofT or Queen's, just McMaster. I emailed UofT and Queen's to make sure nothing was wrong with my application, and they said this was normal. Hopefully I'll hear something this week about the McMaster MMIs!

On 2/27/2021 at 7:48 AM, Strawbaby said:

I can’t speak for UofT, but I don’t believe that Queen’s sends out acknowledgement emails. The only time I heard from them last year was on decisions day. As long as ORPAS says things submitted successfully then you’ll be fine!

the only thing I got from uoft was a survey asking for campus preference, but nothing else otherwise. 

On 2/25/2021 at 5:24 PM, OTapplicant2021 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens - All OT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa - 3.61 and s-gpa 3.76
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

So far feeling pretty discouraged about getting in this round, I don't meet last years s-GPA interview cut-off for McMaster (3.78) or Queens first round offer c-GPA cutoff from last year so we'll see!

Could you post what Queens last year c-GPA was?

Looking at some insight for someone who is applying in the next cycle of schools!

I feel like I overall have a strong application, I'll be a registered AT for 2 years by the time of my application, and have lots of clinical/field experience from my degree - My only concern is GPA

I'm applying to PT/OT at UofA, Western & Queens. My application GPA (last 60 credits) would be around 3.78 at the time of application (i'm not sure what the cGPA/sGPA would be as I don't have it calculated & have never used those before). Anyone get in with similar stats? I have other volunteer and work experience but didn't feel like writing a novel, just really focusing on the GPA aspect of it. I'm open to taking some classes to boost my GPA but wanted to see what peoples opinions were before dropping $1600 on classes. Thanks in advance :)

24 minutes ago, dib1141 said:

Looking at some insight for someone who is applying in the next cycle of schools!

I feel like I overall have a strong application, I'll be a registered AT for 2 years by the time of my application, and have lots of clinical/field experience from my degree - My only concern is GPA

I'm applying to PT/OT at UofA, Western & Queens. My application GPA (last 60 credits) would be around 3.78 at the time of application (i'm not sure what the cGPA/sGPA would be as I don't have it calculated & have never used those before). Anyone get in with similar stats? I have other volunteer and work experience but didn't feel like writing a novel, just really focusing on the GPA aspect of it. I'm open to taking some classes to boost my GPA but wanted to see what peoples opinions were before dropping $1600 on classes. Thanks in advance :)

your experience is definitely an asset! is your gpa on a 4.0 or 4.33 scale?