Premed 101 Forums

On 3/4/2021 at 6:40 PM, carlgPT said:

Applied (All PT): UofT, McMaster, Queens
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
ORPAS Calculated sGPA/cGPA: 3.54 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Strong references from professor I had for 3 semesters and a Clinic Director/Physiotherapist at a multi-disciplinary clinic I interned at (279 hours). Treated a wide range of patients from patients with Parkinson's Disease to college/national level athletes. Several different modalities utilized to treat patients on an individual basis. Also ~50 hours of personal training experience during my third year of undergrad. I have strong interpersonal skills and believe I did well on the CASPer, although I was crunched on time every response. Strong background in teamwork and leadership skills (7+ years work in team-oriented organization).

Received McMaster interview invite on 19 FEB 2021.

My cGPA and sGPA are the only things i'm worried about. Being realistic, I don't know if i'll make the cut-offs to be reviewed at any school. I did a bridge to a Kinesiology program so all 20 of my last university level courses were the only courses I have on my transcript (currently in last semester). Looking at everyone else's sGPA here and prior year's threads, it seems like I have a VERY slim chance. Only time will tell. Good luck everyone!

Toronto and Western post the cutoffs for each year on their websites which is high 3.70s-low 3.80s, and Queen's has posted an overall rough cutoff which is lower than that in the 3.70s. I had an sGPA of 3.50 applying to all Ontario schools for the 2020 cycle and didn't get in anywhere - not surprised, but it was good to experience the application process. It was just a couple bad marks earlier on so I'm taking a 5th year to really boost my marks for the 2022 cycle - depending what your marks are like I would definitely recommend doing the same if you really wanna do PT!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

I can't believe we've had to wait so long since we submitted our applications in Jan haha. I have been anxiously waiting! Best of luck to us all!! 

Posted Images

On 3/11/2021 at 2:46 PM, kinestudent23 said:

Does anyone have the PT stats for last year on the number of applicants? Was looking to compare them to this year's

UofT and Western have them on their website for each year and I think the ORPAS admissions guide might have it for each school

3 hours ago, HarDaPT said:

I don`t think we hear back until May 14th 

Can I ask where you found the date May 14th?

I thought UofT PT will send the CAP invitation end of March or early April? and I have no idea for Queen?

18 hours ago, pt90 said:

Can I ask where you found the date May 14th?

I thought UofT PT will send the CAP invitation end of March or early April? and I have no idea for Queen?

Oh sorry I meant for Queens and Western. We do not hear from them unless we are offered acceptance or rejected. May 14th is the day all Ontario PT schools will be sending out acceptances/rejections.

For Toronto you are right they contact us for CAP in late march to early April (they do not specify a date). 

1 hour ago, DALPTOT19992021 said:

Wondering if anyone knows an estimated date for Dalhousie OT invites. Saw that PT will be April-end, will OT be the same?

I think the only date that Dal OT has released is that you are able to inquire to the School of OT about your application as of the 15th of April!

1 hour ago, Physio98 said:

Does anyone know if these universities look at the final winter grades before admission? Considering most will not respond till May, it just makes me curious.

And also, does ORPAS takes in winter final grades and change cGPA/sGPA?

No to both. The most they will do will confirm you’ve graduated to complete your degree but they won’t take winter grades into consideration.

To anyone who has a Mac interview or has had one before, do you know when they confirm which circuit we are doing within our time slots? I'm always so paranoid that I did something wrong when I chose my slot & that's why I haven't received an email yet!

3 hours ago, OT1999 said:

To anyone who has a Mac interview or has had one before, do you know when they confirm which circuit we are doing within our time slots? I'm always so paranoid that I did something wrong when I chose my slot & that's why I haven't received an email yet!

I haven't received a confirmation of my exact circuit time either, so it's not just you! Hopefully they'll send out a confirmation email in the next few days.

Hey peeps.  Is it possible for me to know ahead of time the quesstions that Western Ot and PT AND Queen's PT ask in their application?  Do these questions change year to year?  If not Id really appreciate it if someone can share them with me as Id like to get started on them for the next cycle.

1 hour ago, zerochance said:

Hey peeps.  Is it possible for me to know ahead of time the quesstions that Western Ot and PT AND Queen's PT ask in their application?  Do these questions change year to year?  If not Id really appreciate it if someone can share them with me as Id like to get started on them for the next cycle.

I only applied to Western PT this year, so this is what I found. 

1. The details requirement for personal statement changed a little bit for western this year compared to last year

2. I believe all other requirement changed very slightly too, but 90% i would say is still the same as last year. All these information can be found on Western MPT website by the way. They put it out there to help candidates to prepare ahead of time. Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, zerochance said:

I am in the same boat and wondering if anyone could share to get a heads start, if not that is fine as well! Worth a shot :)

2 hours ago, Veryshawn said:

I only applied to Western PT this year, so this is what I found. 

1. The details requirement for personal statement changed a little bit for western this year compared to last year

2. I believe all other requirement changed very slightly too, but 90% i would say is still the same as last year. All these information can be found on Western MPT website by the way. They put it out there to help candidates to prepare ahead of time. Hope that helps!

Thanks but I’m pretty sure the questions are not on the western website.  I’m gonna check again.

edit just checked it is there on western website for pt 

For those who didn't get in the first time and/or worked before applying again, were you able to get a clinical job in that gap year and how did you do it? I'm preparing for the possibility of rejection and I hoping to find work in order to gain more experience.

Hi everyone! For anyone who is applying to Dal OT who is graduating in May (i.e. has courses in progress)... do you know if they use just your 3rd and 4th year (without second semester 4th year) to calculate your GPA or do they use some credits from your 2nd year to get a total of 60 credit hours for the GPA calculation? I was thinking about this the other day and was just curious :)

1 hour ago, OT2911 said:

Hi everyone! For anyone who is applying to Dal OT who is graduating in May (i.e. has courses in progress)... do you know if they use just your 3rd and 4th year (without second semester 4th year) to calculate your GPA or do they use some credits from your 2nd year to get a total of 60 credit hours for the GPA calculation? I was thinking about this the other day and was just curious :)

I asked them this years ago because I was curious, they said they will just count back to 60 credits to whenever that may be. If it falls in the middle of a semester (eg: second year winter term), they will just take the courses with the better grades in that semester! 

Does anyone have advice for the mcmaster MMI? I have mine this Wednesday and haven't done much prep for it seeing as I'm not sure what would be helpful to practice. Super nervous since I've heard they ask very weird questions.

Any advice at all is appreciated!