Premed 101 Forums

57 minutes ago, OTOThopeful said:

Does anyone have advice for the mcmaster MMI? I have mine this Wednesday and haven't done much prep for it seeing as I'm not sure what would be helpful to practice. Super nervous since I've heard they ask very weird questions.

Any advice at all is appreciated!

Hey! Mine is on Wednesday as well :) so far I've reviewed the program handbook, website, and practice questions (ones specific to OT and ethical ones, not most of the med school ones). They want you to be able to clearly explain your answer and defend it, while also considering multiple perspectives.

Good luck!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

I can't believe we've had to wait so long since we submitted our applications in Jan haha. I have been anxiously waiting! Best of luck to us all!! 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, OT1999 said:

Hey! Mine is on Wednesday as well :) so far I've reviewed the program handbook, website, and practice questions (ones specific to OT and ethical ones, not most of the med school ones). They want you to be able to clearly explain your answer and defend it, while also considering multiple perspectives.

Good luck!!

Can I ask where you found practice questions related to OT? Most of the practice questions I found online were related to med school MMI's.

21 hours ago, OT1999 said:

Good luck!!

Thank you!! I will review these as well :) I don't think I did great on my casper so I'm definitely feeling nervous for the face-to-face equivalent of that lol 

15 minutes ago, PT1234 said:

Hi! Does anyone know when UBC is sending out their pt decisions? The website says mid April but last year the decisions were sent out and of March.

last year they went out march 30, but it may have been due to covid and campus closure. the year before that they went out mid april ish.

Hey everyone!

So I applied to OT school this year, only the schools in Ontario and OUAC just calculated my sub gpa and I don't think it'll be enough to get in this round. My 2019 grades were really bad so it dropped my sub gpa down to a 3.32. was hoping to depend on my experience since I shadowed 3 OT's a PT and RN and volunteered at various OT and therapy clinics. I also have been a personal caretaker for my grandma since she was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2018 but I feel like with my gpa my experience won't matter. I'm in my final term of UG and I think I can boost my gpa up to a 3.64 but I don't know if thats enough and I really don't want to go back and take more classes to boost my gpa. Any advice?

34 minutes ago, vicky6872 said:

Hey everyone!

So I applied to OT school this year, only the schools in Ontario and OUAC just calculated my sub gpa and I don't think it'll be enough to get in this round. My 2019 grades were really bad so it dropped my sub gpa down to a 3.32. was hoping to depend on my experience since I shadowed 3 OT's a PT and RN and volunteered at various OT and therapy clinics. I also have been a personal caretaker for my grandma since she was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2018 but I feel like with my gpa my experience won't matter. I'm in my final term of UG and I think I can boost my gpa up to a 3.64 but I don't know if thats enough and I really don't want to go back and take more classes to boost my gpa. Any advice?

Hey!! I’m actually an RN applying to OT school and I feel your struggle. It’s definitely stressful to imagine not being accepted. I think if your ultimate goal is an OT school acceptance then consider taking extra courses. There’s some easier online courses that allow for flexibility. I think overall if OT is your dream then don’t give up! Also, queens considers cumulative GPA :)

Does anyone have advice for how to get an academic reference letter from a professor? I only applied to Mac and Western this cycle because they were the only two schools that didn't require a reference letter. I've been out of school for over a year now and lost touch with any professors I knew (although even those ones I barely had a relationship with and wouldn't be comfortable asking). Debating waiting and applying again next year to Queens and UBC (my preferred schools) but would need to get academic reference letters in order to do this. Anyone been in a similar boat, and if so how did you end up getting the letters?

19 hours ago, vicky6872 said:

Hey everyone!

Hey! This is my first year applying but I have talked to a lot of people who have done the program. Your experience definitely helps and will help you stand out. But unfortunately it only helps you stand out if you make it past the gpa cut off, so if you're right at 84% for your average there is still a good chance taking into account your experiences. I had one friend who didn't get in her first year and didn't even get waitlisted but re did a few classes to boost up her gpa and she got in the following year. I have another friend who had a gpa similar to yours and she did not redo classes after not getting in on her first try but only got offered a spot at University of Ottawa for their bilingual program the following year.  

I say if you're very keen on going into this profession do a couple of courses and also apply outside of Ontario to other schools, I really wish I did that because it would increase our chances!

Hope this was somewhat helpful :)

4 hours ago, mulia said:

Hey! This is my first year applying but I have talked to a lot of people who have done the program. Your experience definitely helps and will help you stand out. But unfortunately it only helps you stand out if you make it past the gpa cut off, so if you're right at 84% for your average there is still a good chance taking into account your experiences. I had one friend who didn't get in her first year and didn't even get waitlisted but re did a few classes to boost up her gpa and she got in the following year. I have another friend who had a gpa similar to yours and she did not redo classes after not getting in on her first try but only got offered a spot at University of Ottawa for their bilingual program the following year.  

I say if you're very keen on going into this profession do a couple of courses and also apply outside of Ontario to other schools, I really wish I did that because it would increase our chances!

Hope this was somewhat helpful :)

Sorry I'm just a bit confused with what you said (I might just be reading it wrong), so do you mean the cut off that they look at is 84%? How do you know thats the cut off when the average subGPA that gets in is 3.7? 

3 hours ago, lololiver said:

For those of you doing the McMaster OT interview this week, are we allowed to jot down notes/ideas during the first 2 minutes of each station?

I was wondering the same, it would be really helpful to have those notes to turn to when we're actually talking to the interviewer, especially if nerves get overwhelming and we start to lose a train of thought 

4 hours ago, lololiver said:

For those of you doing the McMaster OT interview this week, are we allowed to jot down notes/ideas during the first 2 minutes of each station?

Hi,

I dont think so, the consent thing we signed made it sounds like we weren't supposed to do anything that could potentially allow us to record the questions, 

2 hours ago, EkamhopefulOT said:

Sorry I'm just a bit confused with what you said (I might just be reading it wrong), so do you mean the cut off that they look at is 84%? How do you know thats the cut off when the average subGPA that gets in is 3.7? 

Hi 

Sorry for the confusion, I am just using a statistic that I have seen on a few University's websites- where they recommend applicants to have a competitive gpa of at least 84%. 

On 3/22/2021 at 6:53 PM, SaraPT123 said:

Hey!! I’m actually an RN applying to OT school and I feel your struggle. It’s definitely stressful to imagine not being accepted. I think if your ultimate goal is an OT school acceptance then consider taking extra courses. There’s some easier online courses that allow for flexibility. I think overall if OT is your dream then don’t give up! Also, queens considers cumulative GPA :)

Hi! 

Do you know which website/school I could find some good courses to take? 

Does anyone know if Dal OT uses full credits taken in 3rd/4th year towards the sGPA in addition to half credits? I was just trying to convert my GPA from a 4.0 to 4.3 scale and wasn't sure if they counted towards the 20 credits needed for sGPA. Thanks in advance!