Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

30 minutes ago, kinstudent2021 said:

Hey guys... is today the only day U of T cap invites  and rejections are out and are they all at the same exact time? I have not received an invite or rejection yet!

I checked when I saw others post and my rejection email was there. Check your junk? 

Hi everyone, I am interested in the OT program. I was just wondering if anyone who got accepted had a reduced course load? I e-mailed UWO and they replied that they give preference to those who took a full course load over 2 years :( I was also wondering if anyone took lower level courses in the last 60 credits. Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, PTOT123 said:

Hi everyone, I am interested in the OT program. I was just wondering if anyone who got accepted had a reduced course load? I e-mailed UWO and they replied that they give preference to those who took a full course load over 2 years :( I was also wondering if anyone took lower level courses in the last 60 credits. Thanks in advance!

Hey! I took 27 credits/9 courses in my last year and only 21 credits/7 courses in the year before (30 credits being full course los), and was accepted to UBC. If you get a chance to explain your reduced course load, that would probably help!

27 minutes ago, slimjuice said:

Hey! I took 27 credits/9 courses in my last year and only 21 credits/7 courses in the year before (30 credits being full course los), and was accepted to UBC. If you get a chance to explain your reduced course load, that would probably help!

Thanks so much for the reply :)  Did you have other semesters throughout undergrad with a full course load?

3 minutes ago, PTOT123 said:

Thanks so much for the reply :)  Did you have other semesters throughout undergrad with a full course load?

Honestly no, the most I ever took at one time was the 27 credits in fourth year. In my interview for UBC and letter of intent for UofA, I did talk about how I needed to work throughout my whole undergrad and lived a 1.5 hour commute from school so I think they understood. Did you take a reduced course load for every year?

8 hours ago, bananagram005 said:

I got an interview invite on the 18th! Just saw it today, it got buried in my emails. I have no idea what to expect but it's only 20 minutes. 

Hmm, my application says its still under review and that they'll contact me when they make a decision. I'm starting to get a little worried now.

1 hour ago, zerochance said:

Lol if physio and ot schools only accept those with full course loads I am utterly screwed.  I shouldn’t bother with applying then 

Hi!

I contacted UBC asking them about this after I read that UoA favourites those that completed there degrees in four years with full course loads, but they said they do not take that into consideration and i'm sure other schools are the same!

5 minutes ago, mulia said:

Hi!

I contacted UBC asking them about this after I read that UoA favourites those that completed there degrees in four years with full course loads, but they said they do not take that into consideration and i'm sure other schools are the same!

Yes but what about western queens and Mac and uoft ?

Just now, zerochance said:

Yes but what about western queens and Mac and uoft ?

I didn't specifically contact those schools, however they didn't explicitly state that they look at course loads for their applicants like UoA. I just completed my interview at McMaster and I took an extra year to complete my degree. 

20 hours ago, PTOT123 said:

I had no idea this was a thing, I wish they would've put it on their website somewhere. I took a 5th year just because I wasn't ready to decide on a career path yet and to boost my GPA. I only took 2 courses each semester (while also working part-time) so I'm sure this will not help my chances of getting in :( 

Regarding course loads and OT programs, I emailed U of T OT about this. They said they are understanding of circumstances that can affect the course load applicants take (e.g. working or volunteering). And they'll look at your resume in your application to see wh at else you've been doing that can impact your course load. I also put as an attachment what they said on their website, so it can give more info on U of T's expectations for course loads.

I'm not too sure about other programs though!

1147175009_ScreenShot2021-03-27at11_50_22AM.thumb.png.cc3a73747cff4d4c6a26b952cb206909.png 

19 hours ago, OhTee said:

Hmm, my application says its still under review and that they'll contact me when they make a decision. I'm starting to get a little worried now.

I also got a U of M interview invite on the 18th of march. It's odd you haven't heard anything, maybe try contacting them?

7 hours ago, OTOThopeful said:

I had no idea this was a thing, I wish they would've put it on their website somewhere. I took a 5th year just because I wasn't ready to decide on a career path yet and to boost my GPA. I only took 2 courses each semester (while also working part-time) so I'm sure this will not help my chances of getting in :( 

It depends if you did it after completing your degree and simply taking extra classes or if you took 5 years to complete your degree. If you took classes after graduation it's not the same 

5 hours ago, zerochance said:

I hate when schools pull stunts like this.  If you prefer people with a full course load just say so in your website instead of keeping applicants in the dark and being secretive about it.  It’s completely unnecessary and uncalled for to act like this.

Can't really blame them taking the applicants that show the ability to handle a full course load at the undergraduate level means your selected cohort can handle the program... If you had to extend your degree for reasons such as caring for a family or other extenuating circumstances they have forms you can fill out to explain the reason... They just don't want people who could barely handle a bachelor's to enter into a program they might not be up for academically. 

1 hour ago, zerochance said:

Ok, nice of you to assume the people with non full course loads were taking that course load because they couldn’t handle a full load.

people have jobs, volunteering, bills to pay.  Some may simply have needed more time to decide what they want to do.

Not everyone is privileged and living with their parents and has zero bills to pay.  This isn’t an extenuating circumstance it’s just how life is nowadays.  But of course the people in charge at admissions are boomers who are completely out of touch of the reality of how difficult it is for many young people nowadays.  

Whatever.  I’ll apply this upcoming cycle and I’ll have backup plans in place .  

It's not about living with parents and not having bills a lot of people work and manage full time course loads... And also bills don't go away because it's a master's degree so you have to show you can make it through the program... And if you need more time to figure out what you want to do it's outside your degree and won't affect your application... In the end the they're training professionals and they would hate to waste the space on someone who can't handle the heat