Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

11 hours ago, jkadsjfpewklcxnlkasdjpw said:

Did anyone take the UofA MMI today? I bombed one of the Qs so I'm worried about the weighing post-interview and that a 3.96+ sGPA in-province will not be able to cut it...

I took it as well. Honestly I bet people with lower GPAs bombed at least one question. I think it’s normal to not be perfect on every question and with a 3.96 inprovince gpa I think you will be just fine! 

12 hours ago, jkadsjfpewklcxnlkasdjpw said:

Did anyone take the UofA MMI today? I bombed one of the Qs so I'm worried about the weighing post-interview and that a 3.96+ sGPA in-province will not be able to cut it...

I have the same concern, and it’s been squeezing my insides since I finished the interview yesterday! I think that you have really good grounding already with such a high sGPA and being IP, so I think you definitely have a really good chance of getting in! I remember thinking I could’ve said more for at least 2 of the stations and my sGPA is around 3.94, so you definitely have better footing than me :). Don’t worry too much about it, you are fine! 

46 minutes ago, Anna22 said:

I have the same concern, and it’s been squeezing my insides since I finished the interview yesterday! I think that you have really good grounding already with such a high sGPA and being IP, so I think you definitely have a really good chance of getting in! I remember thinking I could’ve said more for at least 2 of the stations and my sGPA is around 3.94, so you definitely have better footing than me :). Don’t worry too much about it, you are fine! 

I also took the U of A MMI yesterday and felt like at least one of my answers definitely could have been better. I'm an out of province applicant and I know they only give about 15% of their seats to out of province/international students, so my odds of getting in aren't the best.

18 minutes ago, muffy17 said:

I also took the U of A MMI yesterday and felt like at least one of my answers definitely could have been better. I'm an out of province applicant and I know they only give about 15% of their seats to out of province/international students, so my odds of getting in aren't the best.

Don’t worry about it too much, I’m on the exact same boat. I think that for interviews, people usually do better than they think they did, just because we’re our own worst critic, so don’t beat yourself up over what’s already done. Be confident in yourself and proud that you did your best! Plus, it’s not over until the offers come out! And if worse comes to worse, there’s always an opportunity to reapply next year, knowing that you definitely have the grades and passion for PT! Best of luck!

18 hours ago, PT0102 said:

It depends if you did it after completing your degree and simply taking extra classes or if you took 5 years to complete your degree. If you took classes after graduation it's not the same 

nope, unfortunately it was still part of my degree. I guess it's my own fault for not thinking of that at the time :( Just wish I had known about this beforehand so I could've explained the reason for it in my application, but since I had no idea I never addressed it. That being said there were still plenty of semesters where I did take a full course load, they just weren't all within the last 2-year time frame that they take your GPA from. Maybe they'll look back and see I was a full-time student for the majority of my undergrad? Who knows though lol 

38 minutes ago, OTOThopeful said:

nope, unfortunately it was still part of my degree. I guess it's my own fault for not thinking of that at the time :( Just wish I had known about this beforehand so I could've explained the reason for it in my application, but since I had no idea I never addressed it. That being said there were still plenty of semesters where I did take a full course load, they just weren't all within the last 2-year time frame that they take your GPA from. Maybe they'll look back and see I was a full-time student for the majority of my undergrad? Who knows though lol 

Some schools are more open to different degree paths so look into those and in pretty sure even the ones who care want 2 years of full time studies at some point... There lots of options out there I wouldn't worry 

On 3/27/2021 at 1:24 PM, OTOThopeful said:

I had no idea this was a thing, I wish they would've put it on their website somewhere. I took a 5th year just because I wasn't ready to decide on a career path yet and to boost my GPA. I only took 2 courses each semester (while also working part-time) so I'm sure this will not help my chances of getting in :( 

I went back for a 5th year to boost my subGPA as well and I took 3.5 courses this year but all the other years I had 5.0. I think if you mention in your statement that your degree was done but you went back to boost your GPA it might still be okay (I hope). I'm not too sure I applied this cycle as well. I am also working part-time so I made sure to add that in my statement so they know. Did you mention you were working? 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:24 AM, AcceptMeOT said:

Did they state this at the beginning of the interview? or is it in the instruction guide?

It wasn't stated at the beginning of the interview and it also wasn't in the instruction guide, but I asked the person who was giving us the brief orientation thing at the beginning of the interview!

On 3/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, muffy17 said:

I also got a U of M interview invite on the 18th of march. It's odd you haven't heard anything, maybe try contacting them?

On 3/27/2021 at 8:09 PM, bananagram005 said:

maybe try contacting them??

Yeah I contacted them this weekend, and even though they only sent me an automated message so far, the message said that there is another round of interview offers coming next week. So I guess I'll see what happens then.

Hi everyone, 

Question: I completed my degree almost 20 years ago in Kinesiology and have worked in the field since. At the time, my GPA wasn't stellar. Does anyone know if I go back to school and complete my prerequisites and 30 upper level credits, will my admission GPA be calculated on my most recent studies? Im thinking about making this major change and applying to PT at UBC, and just need to be sure. It's stressful not being able to ask questions directly to the admissions department at UBC.