Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

10 hours ago, PTPTPT said:

I just found that $120 covers the cost of both tests! And are you applying to both OT and PT? Cause I'm just applying to PT and it totalled to ~$375 (if I did $120 x 2 tests). So only ~$30 more than last year but it's still like double other schools lol

image.png.37603012afd77326816f0f642092c1e7.png

Yeah, just PT too, but I meant total for the whole application. $190 for the ORPAS application fee, $100 program fee, $15 for one Ontario transcript, $120 for the language tests, $40 to do the casper test, and $12 to send the test results to Ottawa.

11 hours ago, Noël said:

Yeah, just PT too, but I meant total for the whole application. $190 for the ORPAS application fee, $100 program fee, $15 for one Ontario transcript, $120 for the language tests, $40 to do the casper test, and $12 to send the test results to Ottawa.

Ooooo I gotcha. Lol I forgot about the $12 CASPer distribution fee per school too...and idk if other schools do this but I went to uOttawa and I still have to pay to send my transcript to them..........

On 11/21/2020 at 9:18 AM, muskokaphysiohopeful said:

Hi everyone!

Im back for my second round of applications after being waitlisted last year. I was just wondering if anyone has used the same personal submission twice in a row or only made minor changes?

Hello everyone, 

I am on my second round as well for UBC but for OT. Same question. I was just wondering if anyone has used the same personal statement twice in a row or only made minor changes?

Hi! I am wondering if would be appropriate to use a research supervisor as an academic reference for UBC PT if I haven't taken any classes with them? I'm thinking the answer is probably no, but I have a former research supervisor in an area who I'm not using as a practical referee who I think would write a stronger letter than any of my professors, and am curious to know what others' thoughts are on this.

1 hour ago, mc3 said:

Hi! I am wondering if would be appropriate to use a research supervisor as an academic reference for UBC PT if I haven't taken any classes with them? I'm thinking the answer is probably no, but I have a former research supervisor in an area who I'm not using as a practical referee who I think would write a stronger letter than any of my professors, and am curious to know what others' thoughts are on this.

Hey! I used a research supervisor as a reference for UBC PT last year. Although, the research was for course credits so technically it was a “class”. My best suggestion is to email UBC PT advising :)

On 12/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, PTPTPT12345 said:

Hey! I used a research supervisor as a reference for UBC PT last year. Although, the research was for course credits so technically it was a “class”. My best suggestion is to email UBC PT advising :)

Thank you for the insight!

I am also wondering how much detail is required in the experience/interests section of the application form when describing the nature of our work? I noticed the character count gives us a lot of room to explain, but at the same time don't want to re-hash info provided in my supplemental.

19 hours ago, Othopeful13 said:

I’ve cancelled a referee that had not yet submitted but unsure about a submitted reference letter. I recommend using the SAM in your application portal to message ORPAS and ask

Awesome thanks! Also is it possible or even advantageous to have more than 2 reference letters? 

6 hours ago, PT PT PT said:

Awesome thanks! Also is it possible or even advantageous to have more than 2 reference letters? 

No problem! Highly doubt it - they ask for only 2 references and looking at more than 2 reference letters wouldn’t be fair to the other applicants. I assume the schools you applied for would only receive the first two letters, but I’m not sure how the process works. Good luck!

On 11/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, Tptdream said:

Thank you for your reply! 

The poor grades are only from my first year but I'm from Quebec so my program is only 3 years long so when I apply, my winter semester of my first year will be counted. So, I'm just confused on what to do. 

Also, if I wanted to improve my subGPA, would it be smart to just the new easy classes from wtv program or redo some classes so that I can improve my cGPA as well? 

Hey! I think that should just take more courses to upgrade your GPA, as opposed to redoing old ones. The reason I say this is because most schools, from my understanding, look at both grades and then average the two, so redoing the course doesn't end up helping much. I also had to upgrade my marks and chose to take more courses. 

Hey guys, just want to hop on with some fellow applicants for the upcoming 2021 cohort!! I'm taking my CASPer in a few days and I'm just finishing my supplemental parts of my application.

Applied + (OT) = U of A, UBC
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: C-GPA: 3.57 S-GPA: 3.78
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I've been working as a Kinesiologist at a private health clinic since I graduated in March, before that I was in the same clinic as a part-time receptionist. I have a really strong reference from the medical director/CEO of my company. My academic reference came from a prof I knew very well....so fingers crossed. On the side, I also do lots of respite/developmental aide work where I am working directly with therapists including OT's and supporting young kids with special needs (been doing this for over a year now). I've had direct rehabilitation experience in both jobs & I've volunteered at multiple organizations that work with individuals with special needs. I'm still working on my letter of intent/cover letter/resume & really dreading writing my CASper. 

Also if you have taken the CASper, did any of you do the snapshot? Is it worth doing? I've been doing some practice questions and recording myself. I was wondering if anyone's taken the liberty to message admissions and ask if they really look at it.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:23 AM, OptimisticStudent said:

Hey! I think that should just take more courses to upgrade your GPA, as opposed to redoing old ones. The reason I say this is because most schools, from my understanding, look at both grades and then average the two, so redoing the course doesn't end up helping much. I also had to upgrade my marks and chose to take more courses. 

They unfortunately don't average them, they take them as is (at least for ORPAS). I know this because during my degree I retook 2 courses and the first attempts were also in my last 20 courses, and that's how they showed up on ORPAS when I applied last year :) It reallyyyyy sucks and is the reason I'm also taking more courses to boost my GPA haha

12 hours ago, OhTee said:

Was anyone able to find sufficient volunteer experience this summer? I tried pretty much every but I didn't get anything due to COVID :/. I have quite a bit of volunteer experience already, but I wanted to get more so it can help my application.

Im in a similar boat.  I intend to apply during the next cycle and I have zero experience.  

14 hours ago, OhTee said:

Was anyone able to find sufficient volunteer experience this summer? I tried pretty much every but I didn't get anything due to COVID :/. I have quite a bit of volunteer experience already, but I wanted to get more so it can help my application.

I couldn't find any :( Ended up getting a job at a retirement home (about the only thing available) and I'm hoping my experience working there will count enough as OT experience since I did do a lot of hands-on work with residents who had various disabilities

On 12/31/2020 at 12:13 PM, OTOT2021 said:

Hey guys, just want to hop on with some fellow applicants for the upcoming 2021 cohort!! I'm taking my CASPer in a few days and I'm just finishing my supplemental parts of my application.

Applied + (OT) = U of A, UBC
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: C-GPA: 3.57 S-GPA: 3.78
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I've been working as a Kinesiologist at a private health clinic since I graduated in March, before that I was in the same clinic as a part-time receptionist. I have a really strong reference from the medical director/CEO of my company. My academic reference came from a prof I knew very well....so fingers crossed. On the side, I also do lots of respite/developmental aide work where I am working directly with therapists including OT's and supporting young kids with special needs (been doing this for over a year now). I've had direct rehabilitation experience in both jobs & I've volunteered at multiple organizations that work with individuals with special needs. I'm still working on my letter of intent/cover letter/resume & really dreading writing my CASper. 

Also if you have taken the CASper, did any of you do the snapshot? Is it worth doing? I've been doing some practice questions and recording myself. I was wondering if anyone's taken the liberty to message admissions and ask if they really look at it.

Are you taking the casper on Tuesday (Jan 5th)?