Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

On 8/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, otWOW said:

Hello fellow 2021 applicants!

I thought it would be nice to continue the tradition of having this thread for applicants! 

Applied + (PT or OT?):
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa:
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Hello! 

Applied: PT, Queens and Western 

Accepted: 

Waitlisted: Western 

Rejected: Queens

GPA: cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.86

Perceived strength of essays/ interviews/ references: Casper went good I think. Feel okay about my references though I didn't see the letters myself. 

Have had lots of experience in the physiotherapy field: was a physiotherapist shadow for a year, a physiotherapist co-op student for a year doing mostly research. had some experience with my university softball team, a rehabilitation hospital and some experience as a PSW for a teenager with disabilities

I also did some volunteering with settlement services helping Canadian newcomers.

Hope all of this experience gets me far. One thing I'm worried about is not graduating on time... I didn't take a full course load every semester of my undergrad. In my first year first semester I took 4 half credit courses (I dropped a course) same with second year second semester. Then in my last semester of fourth year I took 2.25 course credit load instead of a 2.5. Had to make up these credits by 2 summer courses and then ended up doing a 5th part time year to do my co-op and up my statistics mark. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:57 PM, PTPTPT12345 said:

I can’t remember exactly but that sounds about right. I think it was 8 questions last year but a couple had a few parts 

Out of curiosity and not sure if you are allowed to answer this, but from what I heard is it mostly ethical questions and few personal? 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT UofA
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa:  CGPA 3.96
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:. Received undergrad entrance scholarship for academic excellence, 3 additional scholarships awarded throughout degree.  Worked in two physio clinics part-time as a physioaide since 2016.  Volunteered 10 months working with disabled athletes and young adults.  Worked 4 months in a high performance gym training elite hockey prospects as a program assistant.  Invited to MMI, feel pretty good about it.

Hello guys, 

I have a question and have been wondering if any of you would be able to help me. I am graduating from kinesiology this June (I did my degree in 5 years). I want to do PT but my GPA is low. If I take an extra year to upgrade (as an open studies student) my GPA for last 60 credits will be pulled up to about a 3.8. 

My questions are: do you guys know how universities look at this and whether taking that extra year as an open studies student is kind of looked down on? or is it okay if I do that and apply the following year? 

Thanks in advance.  

36 minutes ago, MAC1 said:

Hello guys, 

I have a question and have been wondering if any of you would be able to help me. I am graduating from kinesiology this June (I did my degree in 5 years). I want to do PT but my GPA is low. If I take an extra year to upgrade (as an open studies student) my GPA for last 60 credits will be pulled up to about a 3.8. 

My questions are: do you guys know how universities look at this and whether taking that extra year as an open studies student is kind of looked down on? or is it okay if I do that and apply the following year? 

Thanks in advance.  

Hello :) I'm also an undergrad student but have been working on my degree for 6 years now. I've been eligible to graduate, but decided not to yet so I could improve my GPA. Just wanted to let you know that once you've graduated, any courses you take outside of your degree to increase your GPA is referred to as "upgrading". I emailed some schools and some only allow you to take upper-level courses for it to count if it's outside your degree.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:19 PM, MAC1 said:

Hello guys, 

Thanks in advance.  

i did 5 year undergrad, had a 3.7 GPA and got into Mac PT! You can do this!

UofS PT applicant, found out I've been wait listed at# 10 out of 20 ppl right now.

The results email stated anywhere from 5-20 ppl are moved from the list.  Anybody care to share stats from previous years for wait list admissions?

It's my 3rd time applying and I'm a bit crushed, though I improved from 24 of 25 from last yr waitlist

Just now, Nap746 said:

UofS PT applicant, found out I've been wait listed at# 10 out of 20 ppl right now.

The results email stated anywhere from 5-20 ppl are moved from the list.  Anybody care to share stats from previous years for wait list admissions?

It's my 3rd time applying and I'm a bit crushed, though I improved from 24 of 25 from last yr waitlist

do you mind sharing your stats and experiences? 

19 minutes ago, MAC1 said:

do you mind sharing your stats and experiences? 

U of S Pt

Admission average: 86.9%

I've made the admissions cutoff 3yrs running now, gradually improving my end result each time but obviously frustrated with failing to make the top 34 yet again.

CASPer went well but can obviously improve, and my personal profile was decent considering I only have a 100 word limit.

It seems like the U of S PT program might have had fewer applicants than previous yrs (2019-160, 2020-216) since the waitlist this year dropped from 25 to 20.

Hoping somebody lurking here can give me hope that 10 ppl could opt out from the U of S from past years.  Though  the admissions email said between 5-20 ppl have been accepted in the past, the high range seems like an outlier year and I fear between 5-10 is the norm.

1 hour ago, Nap746 said:

U of S Pt

Admission average: 86.9%

I've made the admissions cutoff 3yrs running now, gradually improving my end result each time but obviously frustrated with failing to make the top 34 yet again.

CASPer went well but can obviously improve, and my personal profile was decent considering I only have a 100 word limit.

It seems like the U of S PT program might have had fewer applicants than previous yrs (2019-160, 2020-216) since the waitlist this year dropped from 25 to 20.

Hoping somebody lurking here can give me hope that 10 ppl could opt out from the U of S from past years.  Though  the admissions email said between 5-20 ppl have been accepted in the past, the high range seems like an outlier year and I fear between 5-10 is the norm.

#17 here. Still trying to be hopeful lol. Avg of 87.1

edit: they had 195 applicants this year

Edited by LastchanceUpt
More information added

On 3/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, PT0102 said:

It depends if you did it after completing your degree and simply taking extra classes or if you took 5 years to complete your degree. If you took classes after graduation it's not the same 

if i take classes after graduating to boost my gpa is that looked down on? 

On 4/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, PTOT123 said:

Hello :) I'm also an undergrad student but have been working on my degree for 6 years now. I've been eligible to graduate, but decided not to yet so I could improve my GPA. Just wanted to let you know that once you've graduated, any courses you take outside of your degree to increase your GPA is referred to as "upgrading". I emailed some schools and some only allow you to take upper-level courses for it to count if it's outside your degree.

hey thanks for your reply! do you know its better if i stay in my undergrad or graduate and take courses? is there a difference? if anyone could answer this I'd really appreciate it.  

1 hour ago, MAC1 said:

hey thanks for your reply! do you know its better if i stay in my undergrad or graduate and take courses? is there a difference? if anyone could answer this I'd really appreciate it.  

Hey! I'm in my 5th year of undergrad right now, and I decided to not graduate and do an additional year to raise my GPA, instead of graduating and taking extra courses. One of my reasons was because as a non-degree student, I would get last priority at my school for choosing classes. Staying in undergrad made it easier for me to choose classes I wanted before they filled up.

3 hours ago, JChen48 said:

Has anyone heard from U of A or Dal OT yet?? On Dal OT's page, it says we can contact them after April 15th to find out about the outcome of our application, does that mean we should hear back before then???

I applied to U of A for both OT and PT and haven't heard anything yet! Is it true Alberta isn't taking into account our grades from this year/last semester? That would mean they're using just my 2nd and 3rd year grades to calculate my gpa...

20 minutes ago, muffy17 said:

I applied to U of A for both OT and PT and haven't heard anything yet! Is it true Alberta isn't taking into account our grades from this year/last semester? That would mean they're using just my 2nd and 3rd year grades to calculate my gpa...

I believe U of A won't be using Winter 2020 grades but grades from this year will still be used. I remember someone on this forum mentioned that they will just use less credits for GPA calculation considering they won't be using winter 2020 grades.