Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

21 minutes ago, muffy17 said:

I applied to U of A for both OT and PT and haven't heard anything yet! Is it true Alberta isn't taking into account our grades from this year/last semester? That would mean they're using just my 2nd and 3rd year grades to calculate my gpa...

I don't think that's true.  It clearly states on the U of A physio therapy application requirements web page:

Important Information for Future Applications regarding Winter 2020 courses:

For post-secondary students applying to a program at the University of Alberta, grades issued for courses taken in Winter 2020, whether from the U of A or elsewhere, will not be included in the calculation of admission GPAs. Credits from passed courses may still contribute to credit requirements if taken within the last 60 credits of eligible coursework.

29 minutes ago, JChen48 said:

I believe U of A won't be using Winter 2020 grades but grades from this year will still be used. I remember someone on this forum mentioned that they will just use less credits for GPA calculation considering they won't be using winter 2020 grades. 

So does that mean like winter term 1 (september-december) grades won't count but january-april will? Even though grades for this semester likely won't go on my transcript until after their decision is out

41 minutes ago, Physiohopeful21 said:

I don't think that's true.  It clearly states on the U of A physio therapy application requirements web page:

Important Information for Future Applications regarding Winter 2020 courses:

For post-secondary students applying to a program at the University of Alberta, grades issued for courses taken in Winter 2020, whether from the U of A or elsewhere, will not be included in the calculation of admission GPAs. Credits from passed courses may still contribute to credit requirements if taken within the last 60 credits of eligible coursework.

I think that's saying they aren't taking our grades for first semester (winter 2020), is it not?

16 minutes ago, muffy17 said:

So does that mean like winter term 1 (september-december) grades won't count but january-april will? Even though grades for this semester likely won't go on my transcript until after their decision is out

Im so confused haha. With my school, sept- dec is considered fall grades and they do count. Winter 2020 was when covid first hit so Jan 2020 to April 2020, I believe that's the only semester they aren't counting. 

2 minutes ago, muffy17 said:

I think that's saying they aren't taking our grades for first semester (winter 2020), is it not?

Hey! From my understanding they don't take into account winter 2020 (second) term, but take the rest. And someone else somewhere said that just means they don't take take it and don't go down for more so technically instead of 20 courses they would look at 15 (assuming you take 5 a sem). IDK how accurate this info is just what i've heard so thought I would share! 

2 minutes ago, MAC1 said:

Hey! From my understanding they don't take into account winter 2020 (second) term, but take the rest. And someone else somewhere said that just means they don't take take it and don't go down for more so technically instead of 20 courses they would look at 15 (assuming you take 5 a sem). IDK how accurate this info is just what i've heard so thought I would share! 

2 minutes ago, JChen48 said:

Im so confused haha. With my school, sept- dec is considered fall grades and they do count. Winter 2020 was when covid first hit so Jan 2020 to April 2020, I believe that's the only semester they aren't counting. 

Omg thank you both so much that makes way more sense now! I think at my school sept-dec is winter term and jan-april is spring term so thats why I was very confused! I'm happy they're taking into account my grades from last semester haha

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a volunteer position at an OT clinic for this summer. I have been emailing a lot of clinics around the GTA and unfortunately because of the covid situation I haven't heard back from any that are accepting volunteers. Please let me know if anyone has any advice on how to get some experience!

Thanks so much :)

11 hours ago, EkamhopefulOT said:

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a volunteer position at an OT clinic for this summer. I have been emailing a lot of clinics around the GTA and unfortunately because of the covid situation I haven't heard back from any that are accepting volunteers. Please let me know if anyone has any advice on how to get some experience!

Thanks so much :)

Hey! I had the same trouble last summer, no one would email back and those that did said they werent able to accept any volunteers due to COVID. What I ended up doing was taking a job at a retirement home. Both LTC + retirement homes are pretty desperate for people right now, and you'll get lots of direct hands-on experience working with people with disabilities! It's definitely not the same as working at an OT clinic but might at least give you some experience during a time when its impossible to shadow/volunteer! 

16 hours ago, MAC1 said:

thanks for being so nice and optimistic it's so refreshing especially with how competitive some people are! so thank you and keep on being awesome 

Of course :) i went through this process like a year and a half ago and it was hell. In Mac PT now, if you got any questions feel free to shoot me a message. You got this! 

1 hour ago, HarDaPT said:

Does anyone know if grammar and spelling matters on the UofT CAP?

I think as long as you answer the question and explain the thinking through the scenario, it should be good enough, they are not marking the grammar. But of course too many spelling mistakes may distract the examiner. Better to have as little misspells as possible. Should be similar to Casper.

4 hours ago, hiking_girl said:

I think as long as you answer the question and explain the thinking through the scenario, it should be good enough, they are not marking the grammar. But of course too many spelling mistakes may distract the examiner. Better to have as little misspells as possible. Should be similar to Casper.

Hi, Thank you for the information. Do you know if they have marking criteria on their website or somewhere?

27 minutes ago, pt90 said:

Hi, Thank you for the information. Do you know if they have marking criteria on their website or somewhere?

If I recall it correctly, they just said that the test will be marked by 3 people....a student, clinician and a faculty member.  I did not find any marking criteria.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:02 AM, OTOThopeful said:

Hey! I had the same trouble last summer, no one would email back and those that did said they werent able to accept any volunteers due to COVID. What I ended up doing was taking a job at a retirement home. Both LTC + retirement homes are pretty desperate for people right now, and you'll get lots of direct hands-on experience working with people with disabilities! It's definitely not the same as working at an OT clinic but might at least give you some experience during a time when its impossible to shadow/volunteer! 

Thanks for the advice! I applied this year and I have about 5 years of experience working at Camps and I worked with children with disabilities in the camps but I don't know if thats enough. I am not sure if they are looking for direct OT experience thats why I was a little stressed. 

Hi Everyone!

I know Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs release acceptances on May 14th but does every school release on this day? I applied to Queens (PT/OT), UofT (OT), and McMaster (OT). McMaster said they will release acceptances on the 14th but does anyone know about Queens or UofT (even when they released acceptances in previous years)?

Any insight would be appreciated!! 

1 hour ago, OTPT0808 said:

Hi Everyone!

I know Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs release acceptances on May 14th but does every school release on this day? I applied to Queens (PT/OT), UofT (OT), and McMaster (OT). McMaster said they will release acceptances on the 14th but does anyone know about Queens or UofT (even when they released acceptances in previous years)?

From what I have heard, all schools in Ontario release acceptances on the 14th. 

7 hours ago, OTPT0808 said:

Hi Everyone!

They should always release on the same day, however last year all Ontario schools’ decisions date got pushed two weeks to the end of May. I’m assuming it was due to covid somehow, so hopefully that won’t happen to Ontario applicants this year!