Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

On 4/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, MAC1 said:

Hey everyone quick question, 

I just got waitlisted for DAL PT, does anyone know how big the waitlists are and if also i heard a lot about the accreditation of the PT program, what does it mean and as it accredited? 

Just so you know as of April 27th, 2021, the program is fully accredited! Here's the link from PEAC!

https://www.peac-aepc.ca/english/accreditation/programs-with-accreditation-status.php

Hey everyone!

I was thinking about taking another semester to upgrade my GPA and get more volunteer/clinical experience, but I'm worried that this could look my application for the next cycle look bad, as I will be doing 5.5 years in university (4.5 in my program) if I do this. Would it matter as much to OT schools if I did another semester?

9 minutes ago, Scottie Steinback said:

I feel this to the max!! Debating sleeping until Friday because even awake I’m pretty much useless and completely distracted by my anticipation :s

I feel you. The waiting game is the hardest thing ever. I hope you hear some great news soon :)

59 minutes ago, MAC1 said:

does anyone know how many seats are offered to OOP students for dal and if there is 2 separate waitlists or one waitlist? for PT 

I believe there is 2 waitlists because when I asked last year, the advisor said you are in the top half of the nova scotia waitlist...

On 1/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, OhTee said:

Was anyone able to find sufficient volunteer experience this summer? I tried pretty much every but I didn't get anything due to COVID :/. I have quite a bit of volunteer experience already, but I wanted to get more so it can help my application.

From what I understand, it isn't necessarily where you have experience, but rather how that experience has influenced your choice to pursue a career as an OT. I will say that I have been stressed about this myself. I am thinking of leaving my current job as a support worker to pursue a contract job doing administrative work for low income populations. I could be very wrong since I have not applied to an OT program yet, but I believe working with different populations is a key factor to understanding different challenges. 

8 minutes ago, Ot2022 said:

From what I understand, it isn't necessarily where you have experience, but rather how that experience has influenced your choice to pursue a career as an OT. I will say that I have been stressed about this myself. I am thinking of leaving my current job as a support worker to pursue a contract job doing administrative work for low income populations. I could be very wrong since I have not applied to an OT program yet, but I believe working with different populations is a key factor to understanding different challenges. 

Although this is true and it’s good to have experience with different populations, it’s not necessary. I was accepted to UofA and the only experience I have is within a mental health setting and with kids. You could pick up a volunteering position that can help u gain some experience outside of what you are doing now, but I don’t think it would be necessary to switch jobs